Here is a challange

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

I am trying to figure out the optimal length of a single whip to cover the following frequecies to the best it possibly can:
42 Mhz
72 Mhz
150 - 173 Mhz
460 Mhz
850 - 860 Mhz.

So far I am at 33 inches with decent results, but the 42 MHZ is significantly degraded. Any others out there want to try and find the optimal length?

I know a multi band antenna would be preferred but I am just playing around here.

Take care.

af5rn

26.872 inches to resonate the middle frequency of 418mHz.

You can recalculate and go up or down to give greater weight to either end of your spectrum, depending on what band is most important to you.

digitalanalog

There really is No optimal length Single whip antenna that will cover such a wide spectrum.

you might want to (if your just toying around with homemade stuff like i do) try making a couple J antenna's out of old stuff laying around.

Just a thought...............................

There are a bunch of J tenna calculators on the web to assist in length,spacing and details
just search it.

Good luck, and let us know what you get

prcguy

You can calculate until the batteries run out in your calculator before you find the answer to that one. Even if you find some length that is resonant everywhere, the impedance may be impossible to match to coax and at higher frequencies the radiation pattern may be dead at the horizon with lobes pointing at the moon.
prcguy
digitalanalog said:
There really is No optimal length Single whip antenna that will cover such a wide spectrum.

you might want to (if your just toying around with homemade stuff like i do) try making a couple J antenna's out of old stuff laying around.

Just a thought...............................

There are a bunch of J tenna calculators on the web to assist in length,spacing and details
just search it.

Good luck, and let us know what you get

Status
Not open for further replies.