• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Here's a satellite related question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I've always wanted to be able to view the remote feeds from local news helo's and live trucks but have no idea what type of equipment it would take and if it's even feasible. I think they are up around 7GHz or so? Anyone ever done this? I'm not talking about monitoring the actual satellites themselves although I hear that consumer C-Band equipment will work for that. I'm talking about monitoring the same feeds the news stations are receiving from units in the field.

Thanks in advance,
-AZ

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
These have nothing to do with satellites - they are directional microwave feeds. Unless you are VERY close to the path between the unit and the tower, it's not even worth trying.

chrismol1

Premium Subscriber
If you are next to or very close to the news station then its possible, but you will need special equipment to view it, hard to find and expensive but possible. the news people have the equipment so you can probably find something like it around the net

Status
Not open for further replies.