HF Antenna choices Was: Always a debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2JCR

Premium Subscriber
I am very restricted on space for a beam and even a long wire due to the cutout of my property and having primary power lines in the front and secondaries in the back of my plot of property. Therefor I have a wire cut to 1/2 wave for 20M going through an endfed that works great, I was given a 5 band vertical ( 40, 20, 17, 12 and 10M )from my Elmer. If I run my radials out as far as I can ( probably not a full 1/2 wave in all directions) and as many as I can do you think it will work well for me?
Thanks,
KD2JCR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
If you were given a vertical... use it. And in exactly the way you describe (lots of long radials). Verticals perform very well when they are ground-mounted with proper radials. And if you can afford a hex beam... well, get one of those, too. You can never have too many antennas.

KC5AKB

See what you need to install the vertical. And go for it .where there is will there is a way . Be safe
Feel free to pm me

prcguy

Instead of wire radials consider using chicken wire on the ground instead. Two 50ft lengths of 4ft wide chicken wire laid out in a X pattern with the antenna planted in the middle is a lot more ground plane than most hams will get without putting down 1,000ft or more of wire. If you have limited space you can cover what you have with chicken wire.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.