HF Frequencies in The Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that some HF Frequencies are getting submited to the database as AM. I know that they are not AM Mode and are in fact USB. What is the main reason HF, AM Radio and FM Radio frequencies are not allowed ? I know for a long time Ham Radio FM and UHF Repeater Frequencies were only allowed if they were Skywarn. Now ALL Ham Radio Repeaters are allowed. I also noticed we now have a Nationwide Database before we did not. So changes can happen. Is it not allowed because new radios like Home Patrol and others that pull frequencies from the database would have a problem in scanning ? Several of us like to listen to HF as well as a Scanner. Having the HF, FM Radio and AM Radio frequencies in the main database would be so much easier to find vs looking at the wiki or doing a search in the forums.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are several ham radios that are programmable with CHIRP (and it can access the database, the procedure is a little like what is used with Home Patrol) that can receive HF as well as VHF and higher - so I can see the need for the few HF freqs that are in the database. See the very bottom of this article for the relevant links

RadioReference.com Web Service - The RadioReference Wiki

I could see, however, some sort of filter for radios that are NOT HF capable (below 25 Mhz, anyway) like most scanners, the Home Patrol, and so on

Mike

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I could see, however, some sort of filter for radios that are NOT HF capable (below 25 Mhz, anyway) like most scanners, the Home Patrol, and so on

Could you imagine listing your scanners/radios in your profile, and then having a pulldown menu on the top of the RRDB pages: an entry for each of your radios, which would filter out bands and modes the radio doesn't receive, or "Show All" for everything?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually it could be very simple - in the application (i.e. ARC-XT, Win96, FreeScan), ask to import everything, or import everything above 25 Mhz. You could even ask for ranges of frequencies if you wanted to really get slick.

The interface would handle parsing the frequencies (which it does to a certain extent now, when it searches geographically), and the application would be responsible for the filtering. It make absolutely no sense to import everything (including HF, in this case) for radios like the new Unidens, Home Patrol and the PSR-800. Those are frequencies it simply can't receive because they're not designed for it. It wastes memory space and is likely confusing to a newcomer. However you could do it in CHIRP for say, the FT817 or IC706 series both of which are HF capable

Mike
[edit] I should add that if this capability already exists for receivers like Home Patrol, and is coded to be specific just for radios that download the entire db, then it would seem that this restriction should be removed, and allowed for all applications. It would add a significant component to the efficiency of the download

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.