HF mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve3zo

Looking for some suggestions on a good
Antenna for hf mobile

Will be using a 706

ve3zo

I have a tuner as well, I was lookinkg at Hamsticks or the OPEK HVT 400.

I would like to stay way from the screwdriver antennas....for cost reasons

Chris

af5rn said:
http://www.outbackerantennas.com/index.html

Pricey, but the best things going for multi-band mobile use, as far as I can see. Not too ugly either.

Of course, if you get an antenna tuner, you could use just about any quality 11m antenna and get pretty decent results too.

prcguy

If the tuner is at the antenna like an SGC-230 or Icom AH-4, a single hamstick can tune ok on a few bands like a 20m stick may work ok on 17 and 15m, etc. A 9ft CB whip works ok on 20m and higher but 40m and lower it sucks real bad even though the tuner will match it. If your tuner is a coax type (line flattener) like the LDGs don't bother trying to make a single hamstick tune several bands. Even iif it tunes the efficiency goes down the toilet real fast. I have a 706MKII in one of my vehicles with an AH-4 and am real happy with it. I sometimes use an SG-303 whip for all band use and several Hamsticks. Good luck with whatever you get.
prcguy
cpitre said:
I have a tuner as well, I was lookinkg at Hamsticks or the OPEK HVT 400.

I would like to stay way from the screwdriver antennas....for cost reasons

Chris

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I use a 20 meter hamstick and an SGC 237 autotuner. It tunes up on all bands from 80-10, and gets out great. Performance is a bit marginal on 80 meters, but that is to be expected. The antenna isn't excessively ugly, and the use of the autotuner makes multiband operation a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.