Hi a problem with my ar8200 mk3 please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

majestic36

Hi i'v just bought a second hand AOR AR8200 Mk3 from ebay

The problem im having is when listening to a active frequency the scanner will just start leting out a horable screeching noise at full signal

If i move or tap the aeriel it goes and comes back some time latter and if i tap again the noise has gone again

I did notice that if i remove the aeriel or fit it the bnc on the scanner end moves so do you think the is a bad conection on the bnc in the scanner or is it something else

please advise me cheers

R1VINCE

is it just on 1 channel or on many?

if its just 1 channel, than i would put the attenuator on that channel.

it could aslo be some interference from something in the room/house(just a thought) like a monitor or tv...maybe?

mancow

Database Admin
It sounds like there are loose parts causing oscillations. I would carefully open it and look for things to tighten.

majestic36

Hi thanks for the replys i dont think its anything to do with interference as i also have the 8200 Mk1 that works fine on all the same frequencys as my Mk3 but saying that the Mk3 does pull in alot better and stonger

It not just on one frequency i did try passing the one i thought was at fault but then i would stop on a diferant one and do the same

And to answer mancow i have had a look inside the scanner and found two bad solders on a shield and a loose screw but its still the same im afrade

With the 8200 Mk3 i seems to do it more often when its been on some time and has warmed up but i still think it might be something to do with bad shielding someware as whan i go to pick up the scanner just my hand can cause the problem i dont eavn have to touch it

Anymore ideas please

majestic36

I'v just notest that when on the charger the scanner gets quite hot and thats when it plays up alot so looks like overheating problems

Or are they ment to get hot anyway works alot better on the battrerys

Is the original AOR 12v 500ma charger i have but is it suited to charge high energy 2650mah nimh batterys or should i get one that says it can charge nimh batterys

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Howdy!
I own an 8300 MK III. The manual says that even though the batteries can be charged internaly, they recommend you use an external charger. I use Sanyo 2700 Ma batteries. I would recommend you get something like a Maha charger that can recondition your batteries. I have never had 1 problem since I started using my Maha MH-C801D external charger. I bet that is where part of your problem is coming from. Try running the radio without the charger attatched.

Manny

Last edited:

majestic36

Think its getting better as the batteries are new duracell 2650 ma and after charging them a couple of time now the radio is not getting as hot running on the charger with batteries in

So it is now bareable

But i did do a full reset with holding scan button down and pressing power button but i thought i had killed it lol when it came back on there was no scan and no search they just didnt work but i found out it had fully reset i had lost all the search limits i had set and why it wouldnt scan was it had blanked all my saved frequences so there was nothing in there to scan lol

smr

majestic36 said:
Hi i'v just bought a second hand AOR AR8200 Mk3 from ebay

The problem im having is when listening to a active frequency the scanner will just start leting out a horable screeching noise at full signal

If i move or tap the aeriel it goes and comes back some time latter and if i tap again the noise has gone again

I did notice that if i remove the aeriel or fit it the bnc on the scanner end moves so do you think the is a bad conection on the bnc in the scanner or is it something else

please advise me cheers

Hi,

Unfortunately I have noticed the same problem on my scanner about 6 months ago. This does not happen very often, but when it does, it is quite irritating.

rmosier

The "squaking" noise is due to low power.

I have the originla version of the 8200 (EU version not cell blocked).
And from day one if the battaries are low, and the external power cord
is plugged into the scanner, you will hear that noise. running on battaries
without the external power plugged in, OR on external without the battaries
will fix the problem. I believe it's caused by a faulty charging circuit.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.