Hi guys, I'm new and have a question dealing with automobile scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakpoint

I purchased an app from the android market for my G1 about a month ago that just streams from radioreference and just love listening to everyday things on there. I usually have my scanner going on my phone in the car holding it to my ear to listen while driving so I figured why don't I just buy a scanner for my car?! Growing up my pops was always listening to a scanner and it drove me nuts, and now I'm doing the same thing he was, strange. There are a ton of different scanners to choose from so it is a little overwhelming when looking at them. I mainly like listening to the police department, so that is my main goal with the scanner I choose. You never know when you might here them on the scanner looking for vehicle X with plates X and you see it and can call in and help them out, that would be a great thing. As far as scanners for automobiles go what would be the best one for me to go with? Price is a concern, I don't want to spend over 150.00 for sure. Also what would be the best antenna? As far as looks and all goes I could care less about that department, if its a huge antenna and works great I would rather have that then to have one that is "nice" looking and doesn't perform as well.

If there is anymore info you guys/gals need from me to help me make a decision please ask and I will let you know what you need to know.

Thanks!

And as a side note, the very first night I got the scanner app for my phone the very first call I heard on my local police channel was a call in about a black male at a phone booth at a Texaco on University Dr. with his pants and underwear around his ankles, now tell me that isn't the best way to start out an obsession of listening! I about died laughing, I love listening to some of the calls they have.

I purchased an app from the android market for my G1 about a month ago that just streams from radioreference and just love listening to everyday things on there. I usually have my scanner going on my phone in the car holding it to my ear to listen while driving so I figured why don't I just buy a scanner for my car?! Growing up my pops was always listening to a scanner and it drove me nuts, and now I'm doing the same thing he was, strange. There are a ton of different scanners to choose from so it is a little overwhelming when looking at them. I mainly like listening to the police department, so that is my main goal with the scanner I choose. You never know when you might here them on the scanner looking for vehicle X with plates X and you see it and can call in and help them out, that would be a great thing. As far as scanners for automobiles go what would be the best one for me to go with? Price is a concern, I don't want to spend over 150.00 for sure. Also what would be the best antenna? As far as looks and all goes I could care less about that department, if its a huge antenna and works great I would rather have that then to have one that is "nice" looking and doesn't perform as well.

If there is anymore info you guys/gals need from me to help me make a decision please ask and I will let you know what you need to know.

Thanks!

And as a side note, the very first night I got the scanner app for my phone the very first call I heard on my local police channel was a call in about a black male at a phone booth at a Texaco on University Dr. with his pants and underwear around his ankles, now tell me that isn't the best way to start out an obsession of listening! I about died laughing, I love listening to some of the calls they have.

I would recommend an analog trunking scanner for your area. Such as GRE PSR 300 scanner which is portable so if you want to carry with you can. Or you can go with a GRE PSR 400 which is base mobile scanner. You can install in your car or listen to it at home. They both start at $150 bucks but dont forget you will need some additional accesories. You can look at these scanners here I mentioned: http://www.scannermaster.com/

As for mobile antennas everybody has their favorites. heres link to RR wiki.
Scanner Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki

And welcome to Radio reference. RR also has antenna forum if you want to ask questions there too.

Antennas and Coax Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

Last edited:

n5ims

Also what would be the best antenna? As far as looks and all goes I could care less about that department, if its a huge antenna and works great I would rather have that then to have one that is "nice" looking and doesn't perform as well.

Please note that there isn't really anything that you can call the "Best antenna". Antennas are designed for specific purposes so the "best" would be what will work best for you and your requirements. The main things are frequency coverage, radiation pattern, and gain. The mount is also important (best would be a solid mount into a hole drilled into solid metal roof, worst would be a through-the-glass mount, with mag mount somewhere inbetween).

That said, you can get coverage for much of what's in Madison County, AL using a Larsen tri-band antenna Larsen NMO150/450/800 Tri Band VHF, UHF, 800 MHz Motorola Style Antenna | TESSCO. It covers the frequencies used by nearly all in the RR database and isn't directional. It doesn't have a great deal of gain, however. It uses the standard NMO mount so swapping it out when you wish should be easy to do. It's also only about 19" tall so it isn't really very tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.