Hickory PD gone silent on Uniden BCD325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanbNC

Premium Subscriber
Recently I have noticed that I am no longer picking up Hickory PD. I re-imported the HPD Simulcast data from the RR database and noticed that it only pulled 3 freq's down instead of the 8 I previously had. The 3 freq's pulled down from the RR database are all identified as control freq's. I manually added the other freq's in the system but am still not hearing anything from HPD. I have done ID Scan and ID search with no luck. Any ideas? Maybe they have gone encrypted?

DannyM86

Premium Subscriber
Try putting all the Catawba Co trunking sites in your radio. Put all the control and voice frequencies for those sites in.

alanbNC

Premium Subscriber
Try putting all the Catawba Co trunking sites in your radio. Put all the control and voice frequencies for those sites in.

Thanks for the suggestion, however #1) I already have all three Catawba County sites and freq's in the system and #2) HPD/Hickory has their own trunked system that is separate from VIPER. It is listed as a simulcast system with two site locations, one at the main radio tower located at Hickory Public Works and the other on a water tower in the SW section of the city. The Hickory system was where HPD was heard until recently. I suspect the PD system has be encrypted.

The reason for my original post was twofold. One, to find out if anyone else has experienced this and two, to report that an import from the RR database for the Hickory system isn't pulling down all the frequencies that Hickory is licensed for on the trunked system.

Baddad

Premium Subscriber
Yes, unfortunately, they've been gone from the airways for the last 6-9 months. Their simulcast had been getting increasingly sporadic last year on both my 396XT & G5 and then disappeared last summer.

I've never heard them on the Catawba County system.

Hopefully someday, the City of Hickory will drop their ridiculous Open Sky system.

Bob1955

Recently I have noticed that I am no longer picking up Hickory PD. I re-imported the HPD Simulcast data from the RR database and noticed that it only pulled 3 freq's down instead of the 8 I previously had. The 3 freq's pulled down from the RR database are all identified as control freq's. I manually added the other freq's in the system but am still not hearing anything from HPD. I have done ID Scan and ID search with no luck. Any ideas? Maybe they have gone encrypted?
alanbNC-I wouild also, if you haven't purchased one already, go onto amazon.com and buy a Diamond RH-77CA (bnc) as that antenna will really wake up that scanner big time. I have the Bearcat BC-125 AT which is sold awaiting for a US Postal money order but it is NIGHT and day from the supplied rubber duck antenna. Hope this helps you out.

DewayneC

Bob1955- will this antenna help my HP1 ya think, the Diamond RH-77CA
Thanks

alanbNC

Premium Subscriber
alanbNC-I wouild also, if you haven't purchased one already, go onto amazon.com and buy a Diamond RH-77CA (bnc) as that antenna will really wake up that scanner big time. I have the Bearcat BC-125 AT which is sold awaiting for a US Postal money order but it is NIGHT and day from the supplied rubber duck antenna. Hope this helps you out.

Thanks I'll do that.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Bob1955- will this antenna help my HP1 ya think, the Diamond RH-77CA
Thanks
I think you will find that you will get marginal improvement on the 700-800mhz frequencies on viper. If you want to get optimal performance on viper I would purchase the remtronix 700-800mhz band specific antenna.

alanbNC

Premium Subscriber
In the last 2 days I have lost NCSHP as well. I was listening to them as recently as Thursday 02/28. In fact they were really busy with wrecks from all the rain we had but since then nothing. I have Troop F Districts 1&5, Burke and Catawba Counties in the scanner and since yesterday nothing. I'm wondering if that very recent VIPER update included encryption for SHP.

DewayneC

In the last 2 days I have lost NCSHP as well. I was listening to them as recently as Thursday 02/28. In fact they were really busy with wrecks from all the rain we had but since then nothing. I have Troop F Districts 1&5, Burke and Catawba Counties in the scanner and since yesterday nothing. I'm wondering if that very recent VIPER update included encryption for SHP.

Technoguy58

Yes, unfortunately, they've been gone from the airways for the last 6-9 months. Their simulcast had been getting increasingly sporadic last year on both my 396XT & G5 and then disappeared last summer.

I've never heard them on the Catawba County system.

Hopefully someday, the City of Hickory will drop their ridiculous Open Sky system.

Curious as to what Open Sky system you are referring to. I thought the city was using a P25 system?? Are they using the Duke system??

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
No they are not encrypted. I was listening to the SHP yesterday.

Baddad

Premium Subscriber
Curious as to what Open Sky system you are referring to. I thought the city was using a P25 system?? Are they using the Duke system??

I pulled this from post #16 in this forum thread:
https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/hickory-p25-system.224719/#post-1774238
"I've worked with HPD's system administrator on some other projects and might have some useful info......HPD's system is supposed to be a hybrid Opensky/P25 system, the only one in the nation or so they tell me. I can't remember the whole rationale behind it."

Technoguy58

Had not read that. Very strange. I thought P25 systems can do data as well as voice. Wonder why they would build out a hybrid system like that. Seems like they would just go solid OpenSky or P25. Strange.

Technoguy58

Got to thinking.... what kind of radio are they using that can do both protocols at the same time. I was under the impression that OpenSky is not going to be supported any more..... hence Harris' own implementation of P25. Would the radio need 2 different RF decks or can 1 radio do both at the same time??

mule1075

Feed Provider
Got to thinking.... what kind of radio are they using that can do both protocols at the same time. I was under the impression that OpenSky is not going to be supported any more..... hence Harris' own implementation of P25. Would the radio need 2 different RF decks or can 1 radio do both at the same time??
Highly unlikely about the hybrid OpenSky/P25 system.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
They would need two decks, likely just one for data for a mobile terminal etc.

Broken Arrow does the same thing. They switched over voice from OpenSky to P25p2 system. The last I knew, and it still appears so as there are very few data calls on the P25 side, they are using the OpenSky system for data and P25 now for voice. There are still a couple OpenSky channels on the air, but most have been migrated over to P25 channels. At one time they had and EDACS system, P25 and OpenSky with the ability to talk over all three systems using VIDA.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
They would need two decks, likely just one for data for a mobile terminal etc.

Broken Arrow does the same thing. They switched over voice from OpenSky to P25p2 system. The last I knew, and it still appears so as there are very few data calls on the P25 side, they are using the OpenSky system for data and P25 now for voice. There are still a couple OpenSky channels on the air, but most have been migrated over to P25 channels. At one time they had and EDACS system, P25 and OpenSky with the ability to talk over all three systems using VIDA.
That sounds a bit over-kill IMHO. You would think that simply having one streamlined system would be easier to work with and be much more cost-effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.