High altidtude ballons

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanky15805

So, playing around with ADS-B, ran across N260TH (HBAL0290) (ADSB: A280SE) and it is listed as a balloon at 73000 feet. It seems to be "hanging around" the area between Dugway Proving Ground and Nevada Test Range. Other than the ADS-B frequency any guesses to what down link frequency(ies) it might be using? I can't imagine it's using AM/FM, because of high power consumption. Any guesses?HBAL0290.jpg

Ubbe

Weather balloons uses NFM transmitters in the 400-405MHz range in my area but the frequency will probably be different in your area. I can decode the data using a standard police scanner.

/Ubbe

kruser

Premium Subscriber
No idea on any frequencies used for these balloons but I also logged the one you mentioned at the same altitude as well as HBAL0289 at 80,500. They were both above North Central Missouri just below the northern border and drifting west, southwest at about 8 to 11 knots.
I think this was about 3 AM CST on Saturday morning but it could have been last Friday also.
I'd guess they are using some form of telemetry for atmospheric measurements and such but who knows what frequencies they could be using. I think they are DARPA sponsored flights.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There are several companies offering balloons as suborbital science platforms. There's no telling what they may be doing on a specific flight, but any science from environmental to military is fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.