• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

High CPU Demand Problem After Installing New Excalibur Software Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niagaraeye

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2011
Messages
33
Location
Niagara Region Ontario Canada
This morning, after installing the latest software update, from last month, I immediately noticed that the demand on my computer resources on the part of my Excalibur had dramatically increased, to the point where it appears to be interfering with the radio's function.

For the past two years that I've owned the radio, I've had my demodulator filter length set consistently at 2000 and my DDC BW at 125 khz, with completely satisfactory results in terms of reception or the way the display functioned. During that time frame, while operating the radio, the demand required of my CPU by the Excalibur has never exceeded 25%. Since installing the latest update this morning, even though I've even tried reducing the DDC BW to 20 KHz and demodulator filter length to as low as it possible ie "10",, the demand on my CPU produced by the radio has increased to the extent that it never drops below 30%, even with only the radio's software open and on occasion it runs to 40% or more. Subsequently, although
the radio itself continues to function, the wave form display is now extremely sluggish, and simply adjusting the frequency has become an exercise in frustration at times. As my CPU appears to be adequate according to the G31DDC Excalibur User's Guide and the new difficulty only started after this latest update occurred, could someone perhaps suggest a solution? My computer is an INTEL CORE i5 M480 @ 2.67 GHZ.
 

Niagaraeye

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2011
Messages
33
Location
Niagara Region Ontario Canada
Over the past 10 days, I've been contacted by the WinRadio Support Department a couple of times in an attempt at solving this issue. I was recontacted via email earlier this morning by them informing me that they were continuing to work on the increased CPU demand issue being experienced by some users, and requesting further information regarding my OS and personal operating practices in an attempt at gaining more context for solving the issue.

Having said that, it is with some personal embarrassment that I'm forced to report that the matter appears to have resolved itself, and that the large increase in CPU load issue that began after installing the latest software update has simply disappeared. This spontaneously occurred approximately 72 hours ago without having changed anything at all in regard to either the contents of the computer itself (through the addition of new updates or software) or the way that the WinRadio product was being operated. I'm at a total loss to explain this, as the problem simply appeared, consistently continued for about a week each time I attempted to use the radio and then disappeared. I've subsequently passed this info on to the WR Support Department.


New project: I'm now hoping that a certain SWL magazine, who has recently announced radical changes to their basic product delivery, will be "helpful", when it comes to living up to their end of the bargain in regard to an existing subscription to their publication. :)
 

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Joined
Dec 9, 2000
Messages
9,121
Location
Shavano Park, TX
I've experienced the same problem with the recent December 2013 update, and the issue hasn't resolved itself yet. Interesting...
 

Niagaraeye

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2011
Messages
33
Location
Niagara Region Ontario Canada
That is interesting. I posted my concerns to the Yahoo Group relevant to the WinRadio G3 series as well as here at RadioReference and a WinRadio rep posting there indicated that they believed that the issue was primarily a problem with people utilizing potentially 'undersized' computers to power the radio. Contextually, I honestly don't think my machine is particularly underpowered for the task being demanded of it. When I was experiencing the difficulties, I even tried shutting down all other power demands on the CPU and it still continued, only to have the problem eventually spontaneously disappear. One wag in their response in the Yahoo Group suggested "self healing software". :) Although I did inform WinRadio that a "miracle" had potentially occurred, to date, I haven't heard anything from them in a public forum or via email regarding exactly what the root of the problem actually is. If you do hear anything, I'd be curious to know. In the meantime, here's hoping you receive your own little "miracle" as well. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top