High Gain vs Stubby Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief220

I just purchased the Wouxun KG-UV9D and it comes with 2 antennas: 1 stubby and 1 high gain. Does the high gain antenna offer that much of a difference compared to the lower-profile stubby? Under what circumstances would the high gain be a better choice?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
You probably want to use the longer antenna all the time and leave the stubby in a drawer. The stubbies are little more than a 50 ohm resistor in a little package. You really can't get any worse :)

But even the longer antenna won't be a stellar performer. You'll be able to hit repeaters that are line-of sight (the distance depends on the height of the repeater). But not much more.

For more serious handheld use, you'll want to use an external antenna. I have a 8 foot long dual band vertical on top of a 40 foot tower at home and I have a NMO fitting on the car roof. I use adapters to match the walkie talkie antenna output to my external antennas.

gmkelm

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased the Wouxun KG-UV9D and it comes with 2 antennas: 1 stubby and 1 high gain. Does the high gain antenna offer that much of a difference compared to the lower-profile stubby? Under what circumstances would the high gain be a better choice?

The stubby is a good cover for the antenna connection, but is lousy for all else. A good antenna like a MFJ1717 is around $20 and will significantly improve reception and transmitting. If you go mobile in your car/truck a mobile antenna ($20-$30 for a mag mount antenna) is a must because transmitting from a HT inside a metal vehicle will not work very well.

Mark

TheSpaceMann

You probably want to use the longer antenna all the time and leave the stubby in a drawer. The stubbies are little more than a 50 ohm resistor in a little package. You really can't get any worse :)

But even the longer antenna won't be a stellar performer. You'll be able to hit repeaters that are line-of sight (the distance depends on the height of the repeater). But not much more.

For more serious handheld use, you'll want to use an external antenna. I have a 8 foot long dual band vertical on top of a 40 foot tower at home and I have a NMO fitting on the car roof. I use adapters to match the walkie talkie antenna output to my external antennas.
Good point! Even a simple home made ground plane antenna mounted on a roof or a terrace, will significantly improve the performance of an HT!!

Kb2Jpd

Good point! Even a simple home made ground plane antenna mounted on a roof or a terrace, will significantly improve the performance of an HT!!

Carry both and use the proper one when needed. Something you are working close simplex and don't need the big one poking in your side. Other times you are mountain topping and want to see how far you can reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w6sev

UV9D

I picked up one of these recently as well, great little radio! Blows away the UV8 as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, to stay on topic, I bought a 15" antenna from RETEVIS, one of the many cover names for the same UHF PMR radios sold out of China. Now, I don't know about their radios, but the antennas work great. This would be my suggestion. They come in both male and female SMA connectors. Check one out.

Last edited:

Kb2Jpd

I picked up one of these recently as well, great little radio! Blows away the UV8 as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, to stay on topic, I bought a 15" antenna from RETEVIS, one of the many cover names for the same UHF PMR radios sold out of China. Now, I don't know about their radios, but the antennas work great. This would be my suggestion. They come in both male and female SMA connectors. Check one out.

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271235774065

Diamond RH951S DUAL Band HT SMA male ICOM YAESU VERT 144/430MHZ Antenna For Radio

Small antenna great performer I use it on my MD-390 and on my mobile mount. Make sure you order the correct SMA connector on its base.

w6sev

RETEVIS antenna

Yes, I had one of those Diamond antennas once and yes, it was a pretty good performer. So you could definitely use that as well. Also, the Diamond CA-77 or even any of the Nagoya 15" aftermarket antennas would be an improvement over the stubby or even the longer "high gain" job that comes with it.
The only reason I'm so sold on the RETEVIS antennas, is 1: in tests I've done, I've gotten better signal
reports with the vs some of the others and 2: they are rated at 20 watts vs 10 watts on most of the others.
Now, I know this is irrelevant with the UV9, but I have been experimenting with higher watt HTs, and these seem to do better with them.

Kb2Jpd

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271235774065

Diamond RH951S DUAL Band HT SMA male ICOM YAESU VERT 144/430MHZ Antenna For Radio

Small antenna great performer I use it on my MD-390 and on my mobile mount. Make sure you order the correct SMA connector on its base.

Or this slender rattail
5aaf3c67b57b4374ce0e602ea507d46e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.