• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

High swr with workman B-100

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadman3

Premium Subscriber
Ok I can have one of those 12 to 18 feet antenna's. So I got the workman B-100 cause of the low profile. But Im getting swr reading way over 3. I don't really wont to hook up the good radio till I can get the swr to a lower setting. I know it a no ground plane antenna so I just put it on a 2by4 and put it up. I feeding it with about 50feet of radio shack coax cause well that what I could afford. I really don't know what to do. I have asked for many radio checks on 19 and no one says anything back I live less than a mile from the highway so im loss. Any help would be appreciated

TheSpaceMan

Ok I can have one of those 12 to 18 feet antenna's. So I got the workman B-100 cause of the low profile. But Im getting swr reading way over 3. I don't really wont to hook up the good radio till I can get the swr to a lower setting. I know it a no ground plane antenna so I just put it on a 2by4 and put it up. I feeding it with about 50feet of radio shack coax cause well that what I could afford. I really don't know what to do. I have asked for many radio checks on 19 and no one says anything back I live less than a mile from the highway so im loss. Any help would be appreciated
Did you check the coax and connectors for breaks or shorts?

SCPD

QRT
SWR'S

I no longer have a CB, but when i had one i had to get the S W R set with a swr meter. Some times you have to cut (ADJUST) the length of your antenna to match the swr. If you are still having problems with the cb see if you can find some one who knows how to use a swr meter. jbxfire

sadman3

Premium Subscriber
I did check coax breaks not sure how to check for shorts. the connector at the antenna looks good I don't see any issues at the radio but I guess it could have a short like I said not to sure how to check though.. This antenna can't be tuned. I was thinking that it was coax I didn't see anything wrong with it but may change it out just so I know that's not it.

Even if you could get your SWR Down to under 2:1, a physically short radiator is very lossy, especially those that are less than 1/8 wavelength. So don't expect great success with this type of antenna.

WQJI916

Haven't read too many good things about the B-100. To bad an Antron 99 is out of the question. Less than $70 to your front step and all problems solved.

sadman3

Premium Subscriber
With the a99 dose the hole antenna have to be above the house? Because I think I may have a few ways to hide it. I also didn't know you could paint a antenna.The B-100 I got now I just put it on a 2by4 and then nailed it to a post on my porch cant really see it from the road. So I was thinking about doing something like that with the a99 if its possible. Thanks for all the info.

SCPD

QRT
for an A-99 to work good they do need to be above the house. like most antennas, higher the better.
you can still get one to work nearly standing up from the ground but you will likely receive a lot of ground noise, lots of static from everything electrical.
the A-99 might not be too hard to hide although it is nearly 18 foot tall. yes, the antenna can be painted. some people take them down every year and coat them with polyurethane to keep the fiberglass from being too splintered.
the B-100 antenna has had some bad reviews. i have never owned one. all kinds of alternatives to an antenna if you really want to experiment. even two mobile antennas will work if they are set up similar to a dipole.
checking that coax is really what you need to do first. if you don't have a volt meter of some kind that can check for continuity you can always find other ways to check it. take the coax ends and check with a speaker output from small radio is one idea or even using your flash light bulb and the battery.
the speaker wire and radio should work. two wires, speaker positive and negative. one to the lead (center of coax) and other to the ground (outside connector). same on other end, wire to a speaker. if the coax is either shorted, the end is broken inside or if the ground (shield) is not making contact then the speaker wire test will let you know. the speaker will have no sound if shorted or broken connection.

LtDoc

From what I've read in other places that antenna is "tuned" by adjusting the length of the feed line. That tells me that even if you do that 'adjusting' it isn't going to be any better than any other antenna 39 inches long.
All antennas have two 'halves', the part that is the vertical part and it's 'other half' which can be a number of things. A typical mobile antenna uses the metal of the vehicle as it's 'other half' for instance.
I haven't heard any 'good' reviews about that antenna so what are the chances of you returning it and getting your money back?
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.