Hillsborough County alert type sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I am hearing this sound again on 853.6000 ID: 03-135 it only last for a few minutes or up to 5 minutes then goes off then appears on a different HC frequency. Time I am hearing it is about 20 minutes and now. Are the engineers testing the sites? I know yesterday District 4 had problems and another county did as well. I don't know how to describe the sound I just know it's a sound.

Last edited:

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I've heard the high-pitched tone on that TGID before. Been happening on and off for years. Pretty sure it's some kind of test being performed by comm techs.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
There should be three different tones used for the Hillsborough County system.

Long beep (Lasts as long as the button is held)
Short separated beep (Beeps twice a second as long as it's held)
Quick hi-lo (As long as it's held)

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Ryan, I'm pretty sure the tone he's referring to isn't an "alert" tone per se. It's just a high-pitched tone that last for much longer than the standard "alert" tone. It's like a test tone that is perhaps used to test reception/signal strength on specific freqs.

As a former HCFR dispatcher, since they are no longer using Plectrons and the paging system, they use the tones just to get attention. The very long tone is for fireground alert when **** is about to hit the fan or is currently happening....either a collapse is imminent during a fire or they are trying to alert the fireground of danger. The beep, beep, beep, is to alert the channel of a call coming out or just getting attention of the channel. I know what the other guy is talking about as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.