Hillsborough County P25 On The Horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Now this is weird. Some talk groups are Phase I, but others a Phase II. I was just listening to 13000 Tampa Airport PD with DSD+ Fast Lane and able to hear them as Phase I. Then that same talk group suddenly went Phase II and I couldn't hear em any more (DSD+ only lets you hear Phase I). But just now 13000 is back to Phase I and I can listen again. How awkward that a talkgroup can switch back and forth like that between Phase I and II.

CanesFan95

But then the Phase I-only radios wouldn't be able to hear the talkgroup when it's keyed up as Phase II.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
The system has been mixed Phase I and Phase II for some time. There are lots of systems that use both modes.

When a Phase I only radio is affiliated with a Phase II talkgroup, all transmissions will use Phase I until that radio is turned off or switches to a different talkgroup. This is transparent to subscriber radios.

What we understand to be East has been offline for some time. Hopefully they decided to make the system single-site simulcast.

CanesFan95

Well, I hope you're right about just having one county-wide site. I was at the hamfest in Plant City a couple weeks ago, and the West system was real strong, but the East was non-existent.

The one big problem with simulcast is all the scanners suck and sound garbled. My PSR-800 scanner garbles up all the time and has not been reliable for monitoring. I have concerns that we really won't be able to listen in anymore. And the problem with buying a commercial radio to listen is the system key problem.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Relm radios do not need a system key for receive only phase 1 or 2...... problem being that they are several thousand dollars used. TT

CanesFan95

HCSO D1 Dispatch 02-021 is being multicast on the P25 system right now on TG 10273 as Phase I. I've been seeing more and more deputies around downtown with new P25 portables.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
HCSO D1 Dispatch 02-021 is being multicast on the P25 system right now on TG 10273 as Phase I. I've been seeing more and more deputies around downtown with new P25 portables.
I switched it over to ID Search on P25 and I'm picking it up here in Westchase on my BCD536. The reception chops out off and on TG 10273.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
It's not being multicasted as of this post. I would caution against submitting finds like this to the database just yet. I've seen quite a few different multicasts but they only last a few hours.

HCSO D1 was multicasted as 273 a few days ago. Most of the multicasts I've seen have been the same TGID as EDACS in DEC format. I've also noted D2 Main, TFR Dispatch, TFR 4-Central as well.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I was at the hamfest in Plant City a couple weeks ago, and the West system was real strong, but the East was non-existent.

This has been my experience for quite some time, and why I believe that the East and West sites in the db are reversed. That is, if it's not a countywide simulcast at this point.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
Y'all think that the East and West systems are reversed? I don't quite have P25 capability yet but I have been monitoring the EDACS system from my home in Thonotosassa since a friend gave me their Pro-164 as a gift last week, and all transmissions on the East system are clear, while stuff I hear on the West system is somewhat staticky.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
That's about right for the existing analog EDACS system. As for the database comment, I was referring to the new, not yet fully operational P25 system.

CanesFan95

Now I'm hearing TG 1457 as Phase I which is being multicast with 11-061 Tampa Fire F1 Dispatch. The switchover is coming! Let's just hope and pray they don't encrypt!! Now we really REALLY need a decent radio that can do P25 Phase II simulcast unlike these crappy scanners.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
I'm still actively monitoring both the East and West EDACS for now, and I could have sworn I heard 1457 there earlier today. Have they completely moved over or is it just a simulcast?

I don't hear 1457 as much as 542 though.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
1457 TFR Dispatch is on both systems. Actual operation is on EDACS. P25 transmissions are just simulcast.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
Alright, so I have a question to ask...

How strong is the P25 system in terms of reach? I'm trying to monitor the system out here in Thonotosassa with two SDR dongles via Unitrunker and while I can receive the control channel, the reception of it is mediocre at best. Is the P25 system not meant to reach into the northeastern section of the county yet, or am I in a bad spot?

CanesFan95

Surprised to hear that. When I was at the Tampa Bay Hamfest in Plant City, the signal was real strong. Same thing here in north Tampa area. Then again, the county is obviously in no hurry to get this system fully switched over as they've basically made zero progress so far this year.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
Surprised to hear that. When I was at the Tampa Bay Hamfest in Plant City, the signal was real strong. Same thing here in north Tampa area. Then again, the county is obviously in no hurry to get this system fully switched over as they've basically made zero progress so far this year.
Yeah, I'm a bit surprised myself. Interesting to note that it reaches to Plant City, but not Thonotosassa. For what it's worth, I've moved my laptop/antennas around as well and there's not much a difference.

Here's what it does look like for me if you are curious:

SsORkDr.png

Status
Not open for further replies.