Hoboken

Status
Not open for further replies.

t13one12

I know you can't monitor encypted comms, but is there a way to confirm that they are using encryption once the change happens? I have a 536hp so I can monitor NJICS, but curious to see if you would be able to hear garbled voice or noise. I was trying to monitor the other night when it was quiet and wasn't sure how we will be able to tell once it has cut over.

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
If youre using an SDR and OP25 itll show TGIDs and show ***ENCRYPTED*** as well in the feed.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I'll add a link under the main town listing to the NJICS tonight.

Last edited:

NParkNJ

On the Road
Also. If they don’t simulcast, or do give up their 800, anyone monitoring that will know they “switched” as the like of other agencies who moved. At a certain point you won’t hear anymore traffic. Or someone will confirm they “made the switch”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t13one12

Thanks for the replies gents. With the impending snow storm coming, I sprung for two dongles to start trying SDR and see if I can spot any activity on NJICS under those talk groups.

I've lurked for several years on these forums and like to try to help with local info when I can. Getting a better understanding of SDR and Unitrunked sounds like an interesting idea and it sounds like I may have idle time this weekend!

N2NHL

I heard the dismal sound of encryption on Hoboken Police Dispatch this past Sunday for a brief time in the afternoon. Perhaps this was a test going on? I guess we'll never know for sure.

N2NHL

I heard the dismal sound of encryption on Hoboken Police Dispatch this past Sunday for a brief time in the afternoon. Perhaps this was a test going on? I guess we'll never know for sure.

This was on NJICS by the way. It was just for a short time, around 4:30pm.

NotATechGuy

NotAMember
Premium Subscriber
A police department planning to use encryption and not buying multikey on a Harris system just blows my mind. Yeah, it it's going to add significant cost per subscriber but then you will have a stronger algo option and OTAR capabilities. They won't have to physically touch each subscriber to re-key the fleet. Not to mention no messing with a KVL. Poor planning and choices if they're going to use encryption a lot. We all know once they load a key, they're not going to change it, so if the key is compromised, have fun boys. Now if they bought the $0.01/sub AES entitlement to have encryption on the radios for a just-in-case scenario or use it on special occasions, no harm done.

I hope the new system works out for them.

rufus-7

Hell everyone, just wanted to let everybody know Hoboken is now on the psic system and as expected encrypted. Talkgroup is 4889

rufus-7

I don’t know if their ems has moved as well, I’m assuming they did because they get dispatched by the pd. Also the 800mhz freqs are now silent.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
DB has been updated to reflect this change. 800 MHz freq s marked "depreciated" for now. Do't know if the 800 MHz channels will be kept for local use, other city department or as backup to NJICS. Any information on this would be helpful. :cool:

I don’t know if their ems has moved as well, I’m assuming they did because they get dispatched by the pd. Also the 800mhz freqs are now silent.

EMS had a frequency assignment of 471.525, DCS 311, but for as long as I've owned property in Hoboken I never heard anything on it.

Also, is there a TG in addition to 4889? When they were on 800 MHz, they ran 2 channels actively every day of the week. I assume they won't have all of their traffic running on 1 TG.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
EMS had a frequency assignment of 471.525, DCS 311, but for as long as I've owned property in Hoboken I never heard anything on it.

Also, is there a TG in addition to 4889? When they were on 800 MHz, they ran 2 channels actively every day of the week. I assume they won't have all of their traffic running on 1 TG.

The 4889 TG is the Dispatch TG, if you Check the NJICS page, they have 4 additional TGs.

I was in Hoboken today at around 1500 hours and heard what sounded like routine HPD radio transmissions on 853.275, which was their Channel 2. Is the 700MHz traffic being simulcast on 800, or did they not move as was previously posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.