Home grown Audio streamers... Will Simplecast support Shoutcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STiMULi

Will Simplecast support Shoutcast with serial data?

I have a dedicated offsite server running Shoutcast server. I have read the primers on using Simplecast pointed at Icecast and a couple other programs running on the encoder side of the setup. The programs read the serial data form a compatibale scanner and add that text into the encoded stream.

Does the use of Shoucast instead of the Icecast configuration allow for winamp clients to "see" the serial info from the scanner?

Thanks in advance!

Tweekerbob

Shoutcast will work with Simplecast, but the text tags performance is not very good. Try to find bandwidth on an Icecast server and you'll be way happier.

There is a reason why all of the tutorials out there only mention Icecast.

Ryan

STiMULi

I "own" shoutcast server so it doesn't cost me any $$ because the other clients on the server pay for the server and I get free leftovers.

So I will need to find a way to make it work or accept the fact that it won't :(

Can you point me in the direction of info about the shoutcast/simplecast/text problems?

Thanks! :)

Tweekerbob

The info I found wasn't all that technical, but it boils down to the fact that Ice and Shout handle metadata very differently. Sorry, but I can't recall where I found that info.

My experience with Shout is that it takes approx 2 minutes to start receiving metadata and at that point it is VERY sluggish to respond to the new metadata being sent (e.g. the titles in the player don't change and match-up to the frequency actually being broadcast). After at LEAST 12 hours or so of uninterrupted connection, the metadata does start to work properly. Icecast works correctly right out the gate.

Also, FYI, as an MP3 stream, iTunes users (Win and Mac) and some random versions of RealPlayer can also correctly decode the metadata.

I'll send you a PM. I set-up a Shout and Ice server of the same stream with Simplecast so that yoU can compare them side by side. IMO...no comparison.

Ryan

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
it will work but there is about 45 second delay on the tex tags.. which blows monkey balls. why not just pay 49 bucks and get a real server from butel.

STiMULi

pinellasfirefighter said:
why not just pay 49 bucks and get a real server from butel.

Because the Butel server resides in your PC and it uses 35K per connection. That is 35K of your bandwidth times the number of users on your connection to the internet. So if you have 512K of upload BW available to you and you have 10 listeners connected to your Butel server you now have 350K less BW available to you.

Plus this is more CPU cycles on your PC managing all this.

Having a remote server, the local PC is only concerned with the encoding (packaging) of the audio and the only BW used is the single stream needed to deliver to the remote server.

All the BW issues and CPU load is on the remote end. The remote server will give up all of it's processing power and BW until it gives up. Obviously I would restrict the number of users so not to overload the machine or the BW.

It is a linux machine and there is no hands on access. Like I said this server is supporting a number of big $$$ clients so I just can't kill it with a bad install and start all over again.

Besides all that have you read the install documentation for Icecast on a Linux machine ? :)

I guess for the public side of the house it will be no, low or slow tags then :)

STiMULi

pinellasfirefighter said:
i get double that with butel.. 20

I was using an arbutary number to define the limitations of using a local server.

20 X 35K = 700K of upload BW. That is more than I have at this time. I use my Upload speed for many reasons. I do not want to dedicate my BW to serving audio.

STiMULi

It is a remote server. I have never seen it in my life.

I buy bulk BW and storage and I get the leftovers. The requirements have got to the point that a dedicated server was required. Now that I have access to a standalone server I can run what I want on it as long as it does not affect the paying clients. I could choose any software I wanted and shoutcast was the easiest to install remotely.

It is a linux box. I can not run the butel software natively.

Go back and read this post and it should help you understand. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.