Home Patro Scanner Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjchristensen

Got mine on 1/3/11. Live south of Metro... hearing a lot of stuff that I didn't with my 396xt or 996xt because I thought I lived too far away and didn't want to bother programming that stuff in. Working beyond my expectations so far- being toward a higher level of scanning enthusiast (I'm not a die hard, but have been scanning for about 15 years, so not a novice either) with all I read, I didn't know whether it paid to get one or not. Love the "punch in a zip code and let 'er fly" aspect of this radio, as I go on several work trips over the course of a year and don't want to bother putting in new stuff all the time.

So yeah, so far I like it. Also got the Arc Patrol software, but haven't had much time to work with that yet- maybe this weekend.

MPSMP

Home Patrol Scanner

Will be getting mine in about three weeks. Glad to hear some feedback about this scanner. Also glade that that range this scanner is able to pick up transmissions from as my 106 and 996 are restricted to sites 101,109 and 201. I hope the home patrol can lock in on some of the further tower sites..

FoxHunter44

HP-1 new owner.

Got mine on 1/3/11. Live south of Metro... hearing a lot of stuff that I didn't with my 396xt or 996xt because I thought I lived too far away and didn't want to bother programming that stuff in. Working beyond my expectations so far- being toward a higher level of scanning enthusiast (I'm not a die hard, but have been scanning for about 15 years, so not a novice either) with all I read, I didn't know whether it paid to get one or not. Love the "punch in a zip code and let 'er fly" aspect of this radio, as I go on several work trips over the course of a year and don't want to bother putting in new stuff all the time.

So yeah, so far I like it. Also got the Arc Patrol software, but haven't had much time to work with that yet- maybe this weekend.

LOL! You and I got our Home Patrols on the same day! Interesting coincidence! I live in the north metro in Anoka County, and have been quite amazed at the reception distance I am getting out of this little 6 inch antenna! I can pick up St. Cloud, and even Washington County, and Wisconsin with it! I have been in to Hobby Radio (Scanners, shortwave receiving, and base CB sideband) since 1978, but just the scanning aspect of it now. My first scanner was the great Bearcat BC-300, which I loved! Have had several since then. My only disappointment with the Home Patrol is that some of the police calls sound like they come from inside a tin can. Otherwise, it's a very good product. How are you doing with yours?

Last edited:

Anvil

Premium Subscriber
HomePatrol

I've had mine since early October and love it. I bought it for traveling and have used it throughout the US with a Garmin 18x PC GPS Navigator Unit. Great reception, decode and VHF/UHF and better intermod rejection than my BC396T. I use a modified RadioShack magmount like the 20-032. I rent SUV's and finding a good spot to place it on the console gets dicey sometimes. The RR database had some shortcomings at first but has greatly improved.

Golson2210

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify, are you able to receive the Stearns County Towers, or Stearns County Talkgroups off metro area towers? i.e. I'm able to receive some of St Cloud State Patrol communications on my 396T occasionally off the metro towers?

LOL! You and I got our Home Patrols on the same day! Interesting coincidence! I live in the north metro in Anoka County, and have been quite amazed at the reception distance I am getting out of this little 6 inch antenna! I can pick up St. Cloud, and even Washington County, and Wisconsin with it! I have been in to Hobby Radio (Scanners, shortwave receiving, and base CB sideband) since 1978, but just the scanning aspect of it now. My first scanner was the great Bearcat BC-300, which I loved! Have had several since then. My only disappointment with the Home Patrol is that some of the police calls sound like they come from inside a tin can. Otherwise, it's a very good product. How are you doing with yours?

mmtstc

Ø
You won't be able to get Stearns co towers in the metro unless you have an amazing antenna... best you can hope for is hearing the wright/sherburne tower which occasionally carries Stearns, benton and Meeker traffic. MSP st. Cloud is a different animal since their district includes wright county which butts up to hennepin co. And as such will occasionally roam onto metro towers.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk Pro.

JASII

Memory Capacity
HomePatrol-1 Scanner Owners

I am resurrecting this thread because I am now getting interested in learning more about the HomePatrol-1. For those of you here in Minnesota that have the HomePatrol-1, are you pretty satisfied with it? I have owned scanners for about 35 years. I have the Uniden Bearcat 396XT and 996XT right now, but I am considering the HP-1. One of my concerns is how well it decodes ARMER and I suspect that it would be about the same as the 396XT and 996XT on decoding. Is the database pretty accurate for this area? I am a little bit gun shy because I have seen a fair amount of inaccurate information over the years. Can the end user add frequencies and talkgroups themselves or does it have to be done through the Uniden database? Also, where are the best places to learn more about the HomePatrol-1? Would it be the Uniden sub-forum here or are there better places to learn more about it?

"Uniden" HomePatrol-1 Simple Program Scanner at Uniden

FoxHunter44

Home Patrol 1

This is in reply to JASII - You add the frequencies by simply putting in your zipcode, as the advertising says. It all works very automatically, and there is a good, well written, owners manual that comes with the scanner to help you with all phases of operation. You can also update it from time to time by connecting it online to the Home Patro website. I am very happy with it, because it does away with all the hassles of dealing with entering talk goups, etc. You hear everything in the clear, just like the old days of scanner listening! It is the next level of the art of the scanner, and other scanner brands are now challenged to equal it for it's wonderful simplicity.

-Foxhunter44-

911scanner

I've had the HP-1 for about 6 months. I'm in western Hennepin county.

The receive far outweighs the 396 & 396XT. Hands down the winner on receive.

As for various extra features, the 396 series wins there... but I really like the HP-1 and would be happy to get another.

MM

JASII

Memory Capacity

By any chance does anybody happen to have a link to the frequencies and talkgroups that come programmed into this thing for Minnesota? I would like to check and see how up to date it is.

OCO

The database is updated every Monday by Uniden.. They export from the RR database and then publish it for the download from their own server. If you want to see what's available, look at the RR database for your area...

BTW since the update last month, you CAN add trunked and conventional systems from the HP1 itself or from the updated Sentinel program that comes with the HP1.. This is in addition to the original location based programming, using your Zipcode, address or GPS long/lat coordinates...

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity

That is an excellent reply. Thank you very much!

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
It also is now capable of detecting talkgroups not listed in the db by turning on "id search"....

N0FPY

Please Bring Home Patrol to next group get together

If anyone in the Twin Cities area that has a Home Patrol could bring it to our next meeting on Oct. 1 that would be fantastic. Someone had one at our spring meeting but I for get who. There was a lot of interest and will be more I am sure.

Thanks,

N0FPY

Golson2210

Premium Subscriber
Any luck finding one available for purchase at the local Radio Shack stores in the Twin Cities? I see it is currently on sale for $449.. but unable to find one doing the search in store feature on the website.....

lindsay34654

I have a question that I have not seen asked before, I want to hard wire my power cord into the car. On the power wire there is one of the wires that has white broken lines on it, is this the positive wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.