Home Patrol 2 and Mobile, Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBOYal

I live near Mobile and thought the Home Patrol 2 was going to be the new great scanner. I am very disappointed in Uniden as it pick up very little. My cell phone free app at least will pick up most of the fire call but the scanner just sits. I feel i have it programmed correct and I even did the extreme upgrade and have tried multiple antennas still very little chatter on the scanner. I did put it in the truck and a few more conversations there but not even in Mobile county for the most part. Anyone around Mobile, AL know any local info.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Obvious question - have you updated the database? If so, range setting, and do you hae te needed service types on.

The extreme upgrade does nothing in changing reception or allowing one to hear more, it's mainly to allow some advanced analyses and keyboard entry of data.

According to this thread - a lot is encrytped.

I'd post in the AL forum for local help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
yes, I have done all of that.
You updated the database in Sentinel and also did a 'write to scanner' to update the HP-2 as well? In Sentinel, the database version's date is displayed in the lower left corner of the main Sentinel window. In the scanner itself, you can verify the version by pressing:
Menu to get to the Main Menu screen

At that screen, press Advanced Menu
On the Advanced Menu Screen, scroll down (use the down arrow to get to the next page) and press the Version Information option. That will show the database in the scanner, among other things.

If you are using the main database, and location, make sure that your location is correct in both the scanner and in Sentinel. If using a Favorites list, appended from the main database, the same caution on verifying location would apply if the list is set to use location. See How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Verify that all the public safety service types (Law, Fire, EMS, Multi) are enabled for Dispatch, Tac, and Talk.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'm not around Mobile currently, but you should make sure that the HP2 is monitoring the Mobile County P25 system, not the EDACS system. The DB here still shows the EDACS system as being the primary system for the county, but as far as I know, that system is turned off. At the least, all public safety have moved off of it.

Also, Mobile City Police and just about all of the other LE agencies are now encrypted, so you won't hear anything from them.

medic9351301

Banned
What system are you using.
They have the county edacs
And the city p 25 system.

I don't live in mobile but I think the county edacs is the one you need .

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=374
Keep in mind all law enforcement is encrypted.

I would suggest the simulcast cast site.
That would probably give you everything county wide

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Lets get user error out of the way before we blame the scanner.

Do you have the correct system or systems selected, did you do your homework and make sure local agencies arent encrypted, do you have the correct service types enabled?

wbswetnam

He may also be experiencing simulcast issues.

Also, you don't live in a steel building, do you, BIGBOYal?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Threads merged. Please don't ask the same question in multiple threads. It makes it harder for people to help you.

Thanks.

Technoguy58

The simulcast distortion in Mobile is horrible. Unless you are very close to a site you probably will have a hard time hearing anything. I am in Mobile every week and have lots of issues with the simulcast distortion. Also, all city and county ps services are on the City of Mobile P25 system.

Technoguy58

There is a stand alone site north of you between Turnerville and Lemoyne that might work for you (Salco Rd). Most, if not all LE is encrypted. The Salco Rd site will not have simulcast distortion if you can pick it up. .also, the system is Mobile county P25. I will submit a change from the old EDACS system to the Mobile P25 system.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Is the EDACS system in fact turned off?

There is a stand alone site north of you between Turnerville and Lemoyne that might work for you (Salco Rd). Most, if not all LE is encrypted. The Salco Rd site will not have simulcast distortion if you can pick it up. .also, the system is Mobile county P25. I will submit a change from the old EDACS system to the Mobile P25 system.

Technoguy58

Checked out the Mobile county EDACS system this past week several days and yes it is still on and active. No LE or FD activity that I could determine , but still has "The WAVE" (Mobile transit), some road ops, some coal terminal ops, as well as some other unidentified use on it. I suppose it should be taken off the "deprecated" list on the database and put back on the Mobile county page under the Mobile county P25 system as still in use for services other than fire, ems, or law.

Technoguy58

By the way, I'm not really sure what the comment about living in a steel building has to do with the original question of this thread. Just trying to give you some help with your original question but since you never did specify exactly what system you are trying to monitor I'll leave it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.