Home Rack Mount Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemann

I bought and assembled a standard 19" sloped-face 10-U console made by Middle Atlantic Products (ordered from Markertek.com).
Mounted in it are:
- Furman PL-Plus DMC Power Conditioner (protects the equipment, includes volt/amp meter and panel lights)
- 4-speaker panel from NovecComm (sometimes available on ebay)
- ScannerMaster Two scanner DIN rack plate (screw holes are in the wrong spot and have to drill new holes)
-- Holds two BCD-996T scanners
- Panel mount for Icom R7000 with speaker from NovecComm (sometimes available on ebay)
-- Holds Icom R7000 receiver which I have had for 30 years
- Bottom panel is just a blank with vents from Middle Atlantic Products (via Markertek.com)

Mounted on top are two BC-RH96 remote heads which control two BCD-396T scanners mounted on the side of the console.

Antenna set-up is this:
- Icom discone connects to Stridsberg MCA208M/N 8-port active multicoupler. Feeds two 996Ts and R7000.
- Maxrad BMYD451M, 450-490 MHz, 12 dBd gain, 11-element Yagi with Advanced Receiver Research P450-480VDG, 18 dBd gain pre-amp connects to Stridsberg MCA202M/N 2-port active multicoupler. Feeds one 396T with RH96.
- Maxrad BMOY4405, 440-480 MHz, 9 dBd gain, 5-element Yagi with Advanced Receiver Research P450-480VDG, 18 dBd gain pre-amp connects to Stridsberg MCA204M/N 4-port active multicoupler. Feeds one 396T with RH96.
Stridsberg multicouplers are used so that various combinations of radios can be tied to selected antennas as desired.

A separate cabinet holds radios for ATCS railroad monitoring. It's a poor man's rack made from Ace Hardware slotted angles plus Astron power supply, and computer. Antennas are different from the other shack antennas and only serve the ATCS radios.

Attachments

• IMG_5601aa.jpg
    IMG_5601aa.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 19,347
  • Stridsberg.jpg
    Stridsberg.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5,726
  • Two Maxrad Yagi Antennas.jpg
    Two Maxrad Yagi Antennas.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 5,666
  • IMG_5387a.jpg
    IMG_5387a.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 7,964
  • IMG_5609aa.jpg
    IMG_5609aa.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 10,770

Kasmus

You preamp has gain relative to a dipole? Is that from the actual datasheet? o_0

firemann

You preamp has gain relative to a dipole? Is that from the actual datasheet? o_0
The pre-amp data are available at advancedreceiver.com. The data you will see there is a little different than the pre-amps I used because I ordered a custom frequency range. But you'll get the idea. You can contact Advanced Receiver through their web site for more details.

Last edited:

firemann

Gawd,that looks sweet,and that icom is the blue antenna??
The blue antenna is the Maxrad BMYD451M Yagi. I did not post a photo of the Icom discone because it looks exactly like a Diamond D130J Super Discone Antenna which you can see photos of on their web site.

W2NJS

Nice work; REALLY nice work. I did a similar job on a carpet-covered 8RU rack about a year ago that holds two Spectras, an APX7500 and a currently open 1/2 RU. My radio panels are from Novex as well, and I've known Dick Robinson there ever since he ran EEB in Virginia years ago; he's a topnotch guy to work with..

Can you give me the exact model number of the MA sloped front rack, please? I'd like to redo mine for both the sloped front and two more rack units.

Next question is how did you handle the power wiring? Did you use Power Poles or something similar?
Right now I've got terminal strips mounted across the top back of the rack, one strip for positive and the other for negaitive and I don't like it at all. Just too messy and too many wires so I'm looking for a
better method.

Again, nice work. Shoot me your e-mail in a PM and I'll send you a photo ot my setup.

Regards,

Tom, W2NJS
Washington DC

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
Very Nice I would like to have something like that I would have my 8db 4 output amp an power supply and backup battery inside the rack mount .

Status
Not open for further replies.