Homebuilt coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

38ffems

Premium Subscriber
I have been toying with some different antenna designs but am lost on connecting the coax to the antennas. I amusing tv cable, which i am sure is very "lossy" but i don't want to buy good coax until I know what i am doing. I have been using online guides for the antennas, anyways, I am wondering how you attach the ground from the coax. I know its the mesh around the copper center. Do you just bunch up the ground mesh to connect? Does anyone have a picture? All of the guides have graphics and pictures that are WAY TO SMALL so I can't see what they are doing. Thanks in advance.

fineshot1

Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking how to go about hooking up the connectors to the end of coaxial cables? If so crimp connectors are common industry standard these days and have been so for a long time now.

38ffems

Premium Subscriber
No a homebuilt antenna. Where you connect the coax to the homebuilt antenna you connect the copper core to one part and the grounding to the others, like on the copper j-pole antennas and such. Do you just bunch up the grounding and solder accordingly?

burts

coax connection

38ffems said:
No a homebuilt antenna. Where you connect the coax to the homebuilt antenna you connect the copper core to one part and the grounding to the others, like on the copper j-pole antennas and such. Do you just bunch up the grounding and solder accordingly?

Hi sometimes i just twist up the outer and use a block connector (like you would use for car audio and connect the inner in the same way

from burt

BKIN

Here's another way

Attachments

• 6mringtrm.JPG
    6mringtrm.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 318

af5rn

38ffems said:
If you're talking about homebuilt antennas, why did you label your topic "Homebuilt coax"? Heck, I thought you were actually going to try and build your own coax, which would be a new one on me! :lol:

k8mcn

on a j pole, i do it this way:

on a j pole, i do it this way:
I put stainless hose clamps on the copper j pole and slide the ground (braid) under one and the center conductor under the other one. Then to adjust for SWR you just loosen the clamp and move the wire up or down as needed to adjust,,,IMO a little easier than the wire lug and drilling a hole.

38ffems

Premium Subscriber
I was being facetious. I wasn't trying to draw people in with that. I didn't really know how to describe what I wanted so I wrote homebuilt coax because it had to do with homebuilt antennas and coax, so don't get bent out of shape over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.