Homepatrol 1 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb1964

Premium Subscriber
Hello! I am returning to the scanner hobby. I had a Radio Shack 800 mhz scanner back in the early 90's and loved it! I recently got my Ham license and became re-interested in listening to scanners. I just got a great deal on a brand new Homepatrol 1 and I want to listen to the Springboro, Ohio frequencies which is were I live. I have followed the directions and I am picking up the surrounding communities but I am having no luck with Springboro. Am I missing something? Thanks!

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
1st make sure you've update the master database and sent it to the scanner. 2nd, I'd make a favorites list with only the local systems of interest. For the springboro area- warren county, along with Ohio Marcs-ip and maybe the original Ohio Marcs system. If you select to monitor only your favorites list, that should increase the chances of hearing the department you're interested in.

What can happen with the hp series, there's so much data in there, it can get to scanning too much stuff that you miss the stuff that you're really interested in. Probably want to turn off location based scanning while your using your favorites list. Also, make sure you have selected only the services of interest (for example: I have no interest in public works or schools)

Jeff.

N8IAA

Hello! I am returning to the scanner hobby. I had a Radio Shack 800 mhz scanner back in the early 90's and loved it! I recently got my Ham license and became re-interested in listening to scanners. I just got a great deal on a brand new Homepatrol 1 and I want to listen to the Springboro, Ohio frequencies which is were I live. I have followed the directions and I am picking up the surrounding communities but I am having no luck with Springboro. Am I missing something? Thanks!

You will need to upgrade to a HP-2. Your county is using the new MARCS-IP system. Most all of your law enforcement and FD are X2-TDMA which requires you to monitor with a scanner that is Phase II capable. The HP-1 is only Phase I capable.
Larry

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
You will need to upgrade to a HP-2. Your county is using the new MARCS-IP system. Most all of your law enforcement and FD are X2-TDMA which requires you to monitor with a scanner that is Phase II capable. The HP-1 is only Phase I capable.
Larry

I don't see this reflected in the database. MARCS-IP shows as a P25 Phase I system and all the talkgroups for Warren County show as Phase I. The HP-1 should handle it just fine.

I have followed the directions and I am picking up the surrounding communities but I am having no luck with Springboro. Am I missing something? Thanks!

I don't live in the area, but it would look like that you should be trying to listen to Warren County Police Primary 1 for law and Warren County Fire Primary for fire on MARCS-IP .

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Larry
There is no X2 or Phase 2 on this system. They may have some P2 down the road on the state talkgroups but many agencies have purchased radios that don't even handle Phase 2.

Voyager

And when they do switch (if ever), it will be Phase II, not X2. X2 was a format Motorola used while the Phase II standard was being completed. There are few X2 systems around, and will likely be no new ones.

N8IAA

There is no X2 or Phase 2 on this system. They may have some P2 down the road on the state talkgroups but many agencies have purchased radios that don't even handle Phase 2.

I thought that an 'X' in the alphatag in the data base signified that the TGID's were X2. Maybe someone can enlighten me?
Larry

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I thought that an 'X' in the alphatag in the data base signified that the TGID's were X2. Maybe someone can enlighten me?
Larry

In the database "X" or "T" in the mode column indicates X2 or P25 phase 2 (TDMA), respectively. From what I can recall, back when they were just starting the new Marcs-ip system (maybe even before it was considered Marcs-ip) some talk groups were x2. I'm reasonably sure Green county was one of the first to go that route. As far as I can tell, when this migrated to becoming a statewide system and the phase 2 standard was adopted, the x2 capability went away.

I may be way off on this, I was only half following this back then, because I didn't have a scanner to monitor x2 or phase 2.

Jeff.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I answered you on the HP forum - but turn on Service Type Law Tac.

The 2 TG's are law tac, and not on by default.

Also - no pH2 - at least for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.