HomePatrol-1 reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihornsby

I have a HP-1 on the way. The city that I will be monitoring has a digital system, its about 7-8 miles away. My question is how is the signal reception of these scanners. Should I be able to receive signal with the supplied antenna, or will I require a outside antenna? My area is relatively flat, no hills.
Thx for the info.
D.L.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Definitive answer - probably, however depends on your resident's construction and a host of factors.

Consider that many LE now us hand helds and use a digital (assuming 800mhz) system that has transmitters at a greater range than 7 miles.

FYI - Ohio Marcs, probably 6 -7 miles (never measured) and OK with NO antenna.

YMMV

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Its not the most sensitive radio but if you have a decent antenna and you arent in a large ravine or something you should be ok.

I put my BCD250 and HP next to each other and tried to monitor a city system that is 35 miles away due NE of me. With a decent antenna (Forget the rubby ducky one and I use a KSMA1) the 250 is able to decode the system well enough but the HP is blank, barely anything more than distant static.

bfpdb

Reception is Poor at best. I live in very flat terrain and its seems more sensitive to atmospheric conditions than anything else.

ihornsby

Reception is Poor at best. I live in very flat terrain and its seems more sensitive to atmospheric conditions than anything else.

That's not good to hear, not good at all..:(

Looks like I'll be investing in an outdoor antenna. Any suggestions on an antenna?
Thx

Last edited:

ihornsby

Well, I received the HP-1 and hummm, it's receiving all the analog systems, 12 miles away, but no RX AT ALL from the digital system (Albany, GA) which is only 6-7 miles away, not even partial transmissions at all. Somethings not right.. I should at least have a signal, even if it has static.
Any suggestions?
Thx

sjlamb

Well, I received the HP-1 and hummm, it's receiving all the analog systems, 12 miles away, but no RX AT ALL from the digital system (Albany, GA) which is only 6-7 miles away, not even partial transmissions at all. Somethings not right.. I should at least have a signal, even if it has static.
Any suggestions?
Thx

Try sticking this puppy on it (You'll need a right-angle BNC-SMA Adapter also): 800MHz Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com

Or... you can cut to the chase and put up a decent outside wideband antenna the covers 800 Mhz too: http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_scanner.html

Before you do anything, however, I would take the HP and go mobile towards these tower sites and confirm that the entered data for that system is correct in the HP. Also make sure that you have not inadvertently turned on the attenuator as this will dramatically reduce your reception.

FYI... According to the RR Database, it appears that virtually all of the actual City of Albany's comms are analog voice; not digital. The Two County system has (3) tower sites and the Dougherty County System has only (1) tower. Are you sure that the towers closest to your location are enabled (not set to "Avoid")? Also keep in mind that an 800 Mhz trunk radio system can have analog voice, digital voice or a combination of the two.

Last edited:

markab

Not promising

Hmmm, that's not promising. I wasn't originally considering to purchase an HP1 until Uniden came out with Extreme. Monitoring Times gave the HP1 a score of 9 out 10 for sensitivity? Perhaps there is a caveat to their rating?

Mark

Spooky527

Ive been using the HP-1 for a while now and I can tell you that the first thing you need to do is get that BNC right angle connector and put the RS 800 antenna on it. the reception will be alot better.

ihornsby

Try sticking this puppy on it (You'll need a right-angle BNC-SMA Adapter also): 800MHz Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com

Or... you can cut to the chase and put up a decent outside wideband antenna the covers 800 Mhz too: DPD Productions - Scanner, Aviation, NOAA, Mobile Radio Antennas for Commercial & Hobbyist Applications

Before you do anything, however, I would take the HP and go mobile towards these tower sites and confirm that the entered data for that system is correct in the HP. Also make sure that you have not inadvertently turned on the attenuator as this will dramatically reduce your reception.

FYI... According to the RR Database, it appears that virtually all of the actual City of Albany's comms are analog voice; not digital. The Two County system has (3) tower sites and the Dougherty County System has only (1) tower. Are you sure that the towers closest to your location are enabled (not set to "Avoid")? Also keep in mind that an 800 Mhz trunk radio system can have analog voice, digital voice or a combination of the two.

I made sure nothing was set to avoid, Im scanning the The active trunked system, which i thought was the Dougherty-Thomas County System, I receiving the Albany State University Police, and a few other City of albany depts, like the Transit system, and the dougherty Jail, but no Law enforcement or Fire or EMS. I even went mobile and road through the heart of Albany, This is strange. Albany has 3 Law agencys, Albany police, Dougherty Co. Police and the sheriffs dept, also i made sure the attenuator is off.

sjlamb

Hmmm, that's not promising. I wasn't originally considering to purchase an HP1 until Uniden came out with Extreme. Monitoring Times gave the HP1 a score of 9 out 10 for sensitivity? Perhaps there is a caveat to their rating?

Mark

Why would you give this poster's opinion more credence than Monitoring Times report and so many owner's that concur? My personal experience is that the HP-1 has exceptional sensitivity and selectivity that rivals or exceeds any scanner currently being produced. In fact, I've tried hard to like my 996XT better but, I have a hard time doing so. If I could only have one or the either, I would be swayed by the incredible display and portability of the HP-1.

I think it also important to note that, as with any scanner, the HP-1 naturally does better with an upgraded antenna.

Last edited:

markab

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your input. Although I only quoted one of the posts I saw two in this thread that commented on poor reception.. I currently have a PSR500. I'm hoping that the HP1 has similar reception capabilities with an after market (Watson W889) antenna?

Mark

sjlamb

I made sure nothing was set to avoid, Im scanning the The active trunked system, which i thought was the Dougherty-Thomas County System, I receiving the Albany State University Police, and a few other City of albany depts, like the Transit system, and the dougherty Jail, but no Law enforcement or Fire or EMS. I even went mobile and road through the heart of Albany, This is strange. Albany has 3 Law agencys, Albany police, Dougherty Co. Police and the sheriffs dept, also i made sure the attenuator is off.

You have TWO completely seperate 800 System that Public Safety operate on in your county. Make sure that you have BOTH systems active until you know who operates where:

Albany / Dougherty County (6D31) Trunking System, Albany, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

Dougherty County/Thomas County Trunking System, Albany, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

Last edited:

sjlamb

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your input. Although I only quoted one of the posts I saw two in this thread that commented on poor reception.. I currently have a PSR500. I'm hoping that the HP1 has similar reception capabilities with an after market (Watson W889) antenna?

Mark

I'd put it this way, Mark... I'm very picky when it comes to my equipment and performance. That having been said; I have been pleasantly stunned by the quality, performance and innovation found in this unit.

scanchs

I agree!

I'd put it this way, Mark... I'm very picky when it comes to my equipment and performance. That having been said; I have been pleasantly stunned by the quality, performance and innovation found in this unit.

+1

@ Steve... I couldn't have said it any better myself. The HP-1 is simply phenomenal...

ScanCHS

ihornsby

You have TWO completely seperate 800 System that Public Safety operate on in your county. Make sure that you have BOTH systems active until you know who operates where:

Albany / Dougherty County (6D31) Trunking System, Albany, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

Dougherty County/Thomas County Trunking System, Albany, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

I tried both Data Base's, I spent 2 hours in Albany today, Nothing picked up as far as Albany Police, Dougherty Co. Police, Fire or EMS.. I know this is a easy scanner to use, and but I cant explain why it receives some of the groups in the Data base, Albany State police, the Dougherty Co. Jail, and the City Transportion Buses. If these were encrypted, I would think that you could still hear them, but not understand them. thx for all the help.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If they are encrypted, you won't hear anything. I think the issue is not reception (ability to receive a signal) but one of selection (are the correct channels being selected for scanning?). My first advice always is to ensure that you are using the very latest versions of both firmware and database. Confirm your database version in the HomePatrol-1 (MENU --> ADVANCED MENU --> System Info).

ihornsby

This cant be a Signal issue, because the Channels Im recieving are Loud & Clear, no static. Im recieving the Albany Transit system, Albany State university police, and city works out at Chehaw Park. all loud and clear. Im scanning only the 2 Data bases for Dougherty County
Albany/Dougherty County (6D31) & Dougherty County/Thomas County I have all services selected for monitoring,

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, that points to the database being wrong, the agencies now being encrypted, or the agencies not using their radios much. Impossible to diagnose further from here (nowhere near Georgia). Extreme tools like Activity Log (which would show all channel grants, including encrypted) or Discovery Sessions would be useful. You might also check in the Georgia forum to see if anyone else is having success monitoring those agencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.