• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Honda Auto Engine Ignition Stop issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
My new Odyssey (See https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/new-2019-odyssey-install.384732/) has a "Feature" called Auto Engine Idle Stop (AEIS) that shuts off the engine at stop lights or when stationary for a few seconds for fuel savings. The problem is that it causes a voltage drop sharp enough to make my BCD996P2 and BCD536HP to power cycle. The Alinco is on the same power cable and stays on, it apparently is more tolerant of voltage drops.

While there is a button on the dash that can defeat the AEIS one has to remember to press that after the engine is started every time.

Is there anyone who knows how to defeat this feature so that it stays off?

I have tried a couple Honda forums and no one there has figured it out. There is also a guy in VA that makes a device that connects to the diagnostic port that defeats this but he doesn't have it for Hondas.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My son's new Jeep Grand Cherokee has that stupid system. His can be disabled simply by pushing a button on the instrument panel when you start the car. I'm not sure I'm willing to buy a car/truck with that, so I might be walking soon! :mad:

K7MFC

WRAA720
I've heard of people using a capacitor to combat this issue and keep a consistent voltage for dashcams installations in cars equipped with AEIS.

N2AL

A couple months ago, I stopped with a guy who had that issue in his new truck. His truck would not start again, and I had to use my truck to pull him out of traffic.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My son said if the start/stop BS is enabled, the enigine will turn off and back on about 3-4 times typically when pulling into a difficult parking space. What a pain in the ass!

slicerwizard

Get the vehicle wiring diagram and add a circuit that pushes the button ten seconds after ignition. I'll definitely be doing that if I end up with one of these vehicles.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
They'll likely do away with this after a class action lawsuite for people killed because they couldn't get out of the way quick enough. I could see getting stuck on some railroad tracks with something like this real easy!

CommLt

Feed Provider
I haven't experienced this problem on my F-150. What gauge wire are you using and what are you attaching it to? Might be the the multiple radios are pulling too much for the wiring. I used large gauge wire (don't remember size off hand) and went from the battery to a RIGrunner distribution panel that each radio/scanner connects to. Hope this helps

** check under your hood for a battery connection point other than the battery. Some newer cars have connection points with circuitry that is designed for auxiliary connections as voltages drops directly at the battery can alter the cars computer programming and engine performance.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They'll likely do away with this after a class action lawsuite for people killed because they couldn't get out of the way quick enough. I could see getting stuck on some railroad tracks with something like this real easy!

It's been around for quite a while, and not really an issue. There is a very slight delay from when you take your foot off the brake, and step on the gas. The smaller engines start really quick. I've been in a few vehicles that have this, and driven a few. It's not an issue.

As for the radios restarting….
Check the battery, even "new" batteries can be weak.
Running a large enough capacitor would work, but not sure it's really worth it.
Running a secondary battery is another option. I know some of the GM's that had this feature had a "starting" battery under the hood, but had a small "accessory" battery also. I've installed some radios attached to the accessory battery.
NewMar makes "mobile UPS" modules designed to keep MDT's and the like from rebooting when the vehicle starts.
DC Power and Control | Battery Back-Up for Mobile DC Power Applications | Timers | Battery Back-up | DC UPS | Noise Filters | Newmar Powering the Network
Also, if you grounded your power to the chassis, take a good close look at the negative strap from the battery to the chassis. The Honda my wife had when we got married had really small conductors. Upsizing that if it's getting overloaded when starting.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I fully realize this feature is a PITA, BUT enjoying my BCD996P2 scanner in my 2018 Honda Pilot is an even larger feature so I've settled into a habit of disabling this feature immediately after starting the vehicle. EVERY TIME! And will continue to do so until such time as this horrible feature is removed. Scanning trumps engine disabling!!!

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
A DC to DC converter that will ensure a constant power to the radio may do the trick.
I believe the ARRL did a review of several units in QST a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.