Hooking up a scanner on a motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
So both my son's ride and have been hounding me to start riding again as well. That said I am looking to find the best way to run not only the power cables but more so the antenna on a 2002 Yamaha VStar 1100. I'm thinking an L bracket for the NMO off the back somewhere. My main issue is do we cut the wire down or what? Remember the length is usually something like 12 ft and a bike is like half of that. I am also worried about where to run it on the bike. Frame or wire tie to something else? Ideas guys? The bike has a full windshield as well (Izzy, I think you've seen the bike already so you may have an idea or 2)

PACNWDude

For motorcycle use, I use a phone application and an earbud. This keeps all antennas and cabling between rider and bike contained under my jacket.

If you really want to do this, look for police motocycles, and how they mount their gear. Typical is a remote head near the windshield, radio mounted in a rear box and antenna on bracket behind that box. Honda Goldwings and fully dressed Harley's with antennas are another good source of inspiration.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Joey that would be something having a scanner on your bike and definatly be kool but i would make sure you would be able to hear the communications over the noise of the bike unless you have bike that does not have a real loud motor. indont have any ideas for mounting since i do not own a bike but good luck and hope your able to figure out a way to do it.

wtp

in a pinch

our county is trunked a does a good job for coverage.
so my wife hook up the little battery powered FM transmitter to the radio and put it in the plastic trunk.
sounded great on the bike's radio.
only used it when no one was around.
no power wire or antenna needed.

teufler

Motorola makes amplified speakers, if mot Motorola, some brand thats amplified because scanners just do not have the volume that will over come road and air noise. The scanner will need to be mounted somewhere out of the weather as they are not weatherproof. A portable with and ear bud is the simplest hookup. Most of your rides are not 4 hours so a portable would handle the battery drain, and when you arrive, you can recharge the battery's. An external antenna, I have had better luck receiving with rubber ducks as too much antenna, simulcast kills me. The rubber antennas, mounted to the radio, that you would have in your pocket, will get you 10-15 miles, longer on some state towers and trunking systems.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I was asking about mounting it and the antenna (especially the antenna) because I wanted to be able to just have a unit dedicated to the bike and figured the mobile antenna would be better. I actually took the bike for a ride down by the beach today from West Haven to Milford and used a portable with a Bluetooth transmitter in a saddlebag to a cell phone Bluetooth earpiece. I could hear it but sounded kind of soft. I have aftermarket Cobra exhausts on the bike but this wasn't soft because of the exhaust. I guess I'll try a full set of wireless earbuds next but I really am thinking of hooking the radio up similar to how people have regular FM radios on their bikes. I know I'd have to worry about theft but I'm with the bike at most times and we have it in a storage unit other than that. I also thought that it would help being able to see what I was hearing on the screen as well. I am definitely going to put a low-end radio on the bike for numerous reasons.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Joe, just be careful where you tap the power from. It can create a lot of headaches on a bike. The best suggestion I have would be run the power directly from the batter, you don't want to go anywhere Seles because of the stater (aka alternator on the bike). Also too it will eliminate some of the engine noise.

As for the antenna, there are mounts you can get like they use for the am/fm, HAM and CB antennas you find on the "long haul" bikes. There is a lot of information online about mounting antenna on a bike, again make sure you have a good ground.

I would put the scanner some where in your bars. I'm assuming you're going to use a portable style radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It doesnt have to be that elaborate. A small portable scanner inside your leather, like a 668 or Uniden 396xt with a bluetooth earpiece works well. I use one when riding. 73, n9zas

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It doesnt have to be that elaborate. A small portable scanner inside your leather, like a 668 or Uniden 396xt with a bluetooth earpiece works well. I use one when riding. 73, n9zas

Pretty much what I was thinking. Most bikes vibrate too much, and will shack the scanner to pieces over time. Not to mention, leaving it unattended with the bike, not good!

Status
Not open for further replies.