Hoosier SAFE-T Thread 2013-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
How extensive, statewide, do you expect simulcast to eventually get? Out here in the sticks we don't have any, I only deal with it when visiting the grandkids up at Plainfield...been considering a G5 for that (would give me an excuse to get another cool toy LOL).

As of now, there are only the ones online, and the one about to go online in the not too distant future. There is room in the set up for many more sites, so no worries there. The INDOC changeover should be completed by January if everything goes as planned (IF)... There is at least one or two single stand alone that are being discussed, with one in actual planning, if not construction down in SE area. As for future simulcast additions, that depends on if additional usage leaps, the need for additional coverage etc... If Johnson and a couple of other counties really pushed hard, the addition of one or two other sites, and conversion to an simulcast could be possible. And actually cheaper than say them ever going on say IDPS, which would require building out a whole new 7 or 8 tower simulcast system ... But I do not see them pushing this as they are going to pop out that NexEDGE conventional revamp of their VHF system as an backup for the SAFE-T. Other future simulcasts would also be possible if certain metro areas decide to bring their systems over to SAFE-T.... This has been discussed with Madison County for the future, but is unlikely for a while.

vocoder

Can the phase 1 talkgroups be converted to phase 2 talkgroups just as they are on safe t?
10754 phase 1 stay as 10754 phase 2
Thanks

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yes, once TDMA starts, the TGs will stay the same. At least for the numbers lol.

vocoder

I guess its time to search and find some IDOC safe t talkgroups for michigan city correctional

BTW, nice job on the safe t database updating, thanks!

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
What the heck is going on with the P25... Over the last few weeks, maybe even a month now, several towers are transmitting the station ID over the control channel continuously all of a sudden. Also, you can see the freq/channel that normally broadcast this kinda fight with the cc on transmitting the ID at certain times during the day... then it stops and the cc goes on continuously transmitting the ID over and over... BTW it is causing interference to some of the transmissions when this "battle" is going on.... I hope the sysOps are aware of this, and if not someone who knows a few should mention it.... This has been verified with Pro96com and unitrunker

A little late to the party, and I'm not super familiar with the SAFE-T system, but the continuous callsign transmission on the control channel is indicative of a core level update. I believe the continuous callsign is present in ASTRO 7.16 or maybe ASTRO 7.17 system. System upgrades at the zone core level shouldn't have any effect on the system/scanner users but allows for things like increased number of usable radio IDs in the system, increased number of sites per zone, etc by updating system hardware and software alike.

KC9LQV

Is there something wrong, or changed, on the Putnamville site? I haven't picked up anything except ISP D53 Dispatch since just after 11 this morning.

Even the Putnamville Correctional Facility has gone silent ... and they *never* shut up.

KC9LQV

Very strange. Putnam County SD just called for a "county-wide radio check", but everything else beside ISP D53 is still silent. No PCF, no DNR, nothing.

Edit: Aaaaaand now Motorola System Testing 1 is lighting it up.

vocoder

Switching over to simulcast

On the safe t, are the radios that are operating on the stand alone or single site, programmed and ready for the simulcast system? Meaning, do the radios need to be reflashed with the simulcast settings in order to use the simulcast updated towers? Possible OTAP?
Thanks

73, john

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
If these are newer radios purchased after the new site number and CC lists were updated in the IPSC database, then they might already have the new site programmed and once it goes live will automatically affiliate with it if it the best signal. If they are older radios and have NOT been programmed with the newest codeplug, then they would need OTAP or touched.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
And saw that the newest 700 MHz stand alone sites in the loop for FCC approval down in South IN.

KC9LQV

Did Terre Haute PD push the Ø button again? Haven't heard a peep out of the dispatch channel in a couple of days.

vocoder

Safe t tg capacity

How much of the safe-t tg & rid capacity is currently in use?
Is there room left for additional tg or rid p25 phase 1 expansion before tdma will be needed?

Thanks
73, john

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yeah there is plenty of room still for RIDs and new TGs. Its not TG/RID capacity that is the issue here. Its VC space on sites. If you only have 5 freqs on a site, using FDMA, you can ONLY have 4 TGs active as you ONLY have 4 available talk chans. 1 CC, and 4 freqs for VC. With TDMA you now have up to 8 talk chans as you have 2 slots per freq for VC. To do the same using FDMA, you need to add 4 more freqs to the site. Much harder to do as now your stepping into the world of availability, interference, etc... Freqs are at a premium... Thus the issues with having to reuse them over and over on sites.

vocoder

So simulcast areas, even though more freqs, still are needing more voice channels or paths?
Yikes! I see how 2 slots will offer better frequency utilization, hence less busy or priority wait.

73, john

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Simulcast is NOT more freqs. There may be 2 to 10 towers, but they all have the exact same freqs at every tower, and all of them are putting out the exact same broadcasts at the exact same time. They are made for better coverage of certain areas, but, they do NOT increase the load out magically. If one tower has 5 freqs, all of the other towers in that simulcast have the SAME 5 freqs. For simplicity sake,... Even if there is 10 towers, in a simulcast set up, its still just 1 site.

c_snyder

TDMA will be a breath of fresh air and long overdue. There is a school corporation in the county next to me that has at least four talkgroups on safe-t and in the morning and afternoon they utilize all four non stop. We get them on our tower here too which can sometimes only leave one or two channels free.

Why they put schools on safe-t I have no idea.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
TDMA will be a breath of fresh air and long overdue. There is a school corporation in the county next to me that has at least four talkgroups on safe-t and in the morning and afternoon they utilize all four non stop. We get them on our tower here too which can sometimes only leave one or two channels free.

Why they put schools on safe-t I have no idea.

Revenue, and SAFE-T actually is the best bang for buck to get everyone on. It could have been a package deal, and all SRO's should have access full time. I know in MS that one o the big initiatives one of the former Governors put in place was every public school in MS was to have at least 1 MSWIN radio for not only incidents involving active shooter stuff... But also for tornadoes etc, so if the school got hit, at least someone would have communications with first responders. :) I do agree that one should not let a school roll over everyone else on sites. That just shows lack of proper planning on that area site load out. And yes, it shows why there is a big need for Phase II on SAFE-T,... And why as a stopgap thy are adding freqs to a few sites.

vocoder

Simulcast is NOT more freqs. There may be 2 to 10 towers, but they all have the exact same freqs at every tower, and all of them are putting out the exact same broadcasts at the exact same time. They are made for better coverage of certain areas, but, they do NOT increase the load out magically. If one tower has 5 freqs, all of the other towers in that simulcast have the SAME 5 freqs. For simplicity sake,... Even if there is 10 towers, in a simulcast set up, its still just 1 site.

I was just thinking of the counties that upgraded to simulcast and added 700mhz freqs to the mix. Went from 5 freqs to maybe 10 or so. Example: laporte simulcast

73, john

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I know in MS that one o the big initiatives one of the former Governors put in place was every public school in MS was to have at least 1 MSWIN radio for not only incidents involving active shooter stuff... But also for tornadoes etc, so if the school got hit, at least someone would have communications with first responders.
There is a HUGE difference between a school or other non-public safety agency having a radio with a few key talkgroups programmed into it on a statewide system and a school having their own talkgroups on that system.

It's bad enough when the snow flies and the INDOT guys get on their talkgroups and tie up a channel on every site they light up. Having a school doing the same thing seems like incredibly poor planning on someone's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.