Hoosier SAFE-T thread 2019-

Status
Not open for further replies.

mricketts

Premium Subscriber
Doolittle Hill has been updated. Georgetown, as of Saturday, doesn't seem to be active yet. No activity showed while in analyze mode.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Gtown should be live by April. (Should be.) The 2 other new stand alones in Henry Co. should be on by Summer. As should the new simulcast up North. (Again, should be.....) Currently IPSC is pushing FirstNET hard, hard, hard every chance they get. Doing demos of the capabilities for data management, sharing, etc...

c_snyder

Since things are slow right now i'll throw out a question i've been wondering for awhile. Why do "statewide" talkgroups only appear on certain sites? Tonight I could hear Elkhart County and Tippecanoe County talking on a statewide channel on one site in northeast Indiana but not on the site in the next county to the west. Geographically this doesn't make sense that you skip the county in between.

Or is it that someone with a subscriber radio that happened to be on that talkgroup was traveling through the county I heard them on and affiliated with the site? I hope i'm not too confusing.

INDY72

Missed it by thisssss much.... Possibly still summer knowing IN weather lol.

INDY72

Since things are slow right now i'll throw out a question i've been wondering for awhile. Why do "statewide" talkgroups only appear on certain sites? Tonight I could hear Elkhart County and Tippecanoe County talking on a statewide channel on one site in northeast Indiana but not on the site in the next county to the west. Geographically this doesn't make sense that you skip the county in between.

Or is it that someone with a subscriber radio that happened to be on that talkgroup was traveling through the county I heard them on and affiliated with the site? I hope i'm not too confusing.

Yes, a radio with those TG's in an active Zone has to be affiliated to the site for you to hear the TG's. The radio may be on any of the TG's in the Zone but you would be able to hear any of the TG's in that Zone if they get used, unless the TG's are not allowed on that site. For instance, an IN SEMA/INDHS unit rolls through and affiliated, you would be able to hear any of the TG's that are in the selected Zone of his radios, even if he has parked and gone to a restroom as long as the radios are on. (And yes, this means both his mobile, and HT.) **Assuming that like most users, they have an primary TG they are using, but also usually have the radio scanning the Zone to not miss traffic.**

Last edited by a moderator:

c_snyder

Okay that makes perfect sense thanks. The site in question was Dekalb County so it was probably someone traversing the interstate.

JasonTracy

W9TCP
Question on SAFE-T "fireground" groups: Are they still completely repeater based, or do they work direct radio-to-radio as well?
It seems like when they're in a building fighting a fire, they're having poor repeater reception, but I'm just wondering if they can locally hear each other fine, or if they have to switch to VHF radios to do simplex if they don't have a good repeater signal?

c_snyder

Around here if they have reception problems in a building or so forth they will switch to what they call "direct 1". Which in my experience is one of the 8TAC9* channels.

DJ11DLN

Question on SAFE-T "fireground" groups: Are they still completely repeater based, or do they work direct radio-to-radio as well?
It seems like when they're in a building fighting a fire, they're having poor repeater reception, but I'm just wondering if they can locally hear each other fine, or if they have to switch to VHF radios to do simplex if they don't have a good repeater signal?
I can't speak for the whole state but you put your finger on a real problem for my area. The FGTG traffic all goes through the site and yes it would make more sense to use one of the 8tac's for FG comms. Sometimes people can't hear each other or get a copy-able signal through a few hundred feet apart. It's the nature of the system and of the state of training available to most. To me the way it was handled here it was kind of like handing an M-16 to a 5-year-old and telling him, "It will go bang if you pull this little thing so don't do that unless you have to."

Hendricks county put in 2 tower sites in addition to the 2 the state put in at the start of SAFE-T to get better indoor coverage. Brownsburg FD had vehicular repeaters before that for indoor and basement coverage. Mesa AZ FD uses VHF simplex for fireground to avoid indoor coverage problems.

Phoenix and the NIST did studies on RF coverage, it's on this page of reports I've collected over the years.
Index of /reports/

markanderson

What was the frequency or talkgroup

jwheatley

For about the last two weeks, Madison County has been simulcasting 48 LAW 1 on IDPS System 4 on 48 LAW on SAFE-T. I'm told the IDPS S4 tower in Alexandria had to be taken down to be painted. With IDPS S4 being a simulcast system, it only makes sense to simulcast S4 48 LAW 1 on SAFE-T 48 LAW while the Alexandria tower is out of service.

INDY72

The 2 SAFE-T Sites in MadCo would fill in the possible gaps in coverage while the ONE tower of the simulcast is offlined temporarily.

dfoutch

Premium Subscriber
The gateway to SAFE-t is a link using a single radio aff'ed to the MC TG on SAFE-T (S4 TG (with RIDs)48064
> 4811203>10964). I agree, there's something else going on here. Edit- The MC mobiles don't go thru SAFE-T. they go thru S4 > S-T. So Alexandria radios would have to go thru Jackson St. So what's the point of using S-T for fill in.

Last edited:

INDY72

If local radios hit an area of troubles, switch zones to the SAFE-T zone, and can still talk in.

dfoutch

Premium Subscriber
An anomaly on Anderson site, UT is showing info for a new Site/Peer. 002-245(F5), no control ch, no frequencies. If deleted, it comes back up. How likely is this true info. (I don't see it on Pendleton)

Status
Not open for further replies.