Hospital Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody know whether hospitals use the phone for patches or if they have an actual radio in the ER? It sounds like they're using phones... often you'll hear the nurse or whoever answer the phone and say, "York Central emerg, how may I help you?", and then they realize its not a phone call, but rather a patch coming through. The patches sound very clear...

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
The hospitals use an MC3000 remote which is attached probably to an MCS2000 up in the mechanical room of the hospital via Cat5 cable.

hoser147

Alot of hospitals Ive been in use a radio that looks very much like a phone hand set and all, sort of like a remote for a radio, with just a couple of adjustment knobs.........Hoser

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They're Model 2 MCS2000's.

The hospital radio sits parked on it's designated talkgroup. When a patch is made, the CACC dispatcher patches that talkgroup in with whatever Tactical group he/she assigns. He/she then sends a call alert to the hospital's Radio ID, causing it to go berzerk. And whala.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
exkalibur said:
They're Model 2 MCS2000's.

The hospital radio sits parked on it's designated talkgroup. When a patch is made, the CACC dispatcher patches that talkgroup in with whatever Tactical group he/she assigns. He/she then sends a call alert to the hospital's Radio ID, causing it to go berzerk. And whala.

Yep, exactly. I've seen the ones at UH and Vic in London and they look pretty much like a regular desktop phone with a big 'ole Motorola logo on them. And a knob or two which I can only assume is for volume.

imcleish

At Sunnybrook, for Toronto EMS we have 3 Voice Communication Options:

Land Line or Cell Phone to ER Physician Land Line (Land Line)

Paramedic Mobile or Land Line to ER Nursing Team Leader Land Line (Red Phone)

TPSS 800mhz radio to ER Physician Radio on MEDCON 1 (Radio, South Zone)

The choice on method of contact is made by the EMS Crew.

For out of town vehicles coming to Sunnybrook (Trauma), the only methods available are message relay from Toronto EMS Communications, typically via the Red Phone, and by Land Line to the Home CACC (Mississauga/Oshawa/York etc) again for message relay.

Air Ambulance (Ornge) Patches are now completed mostly by Landline to Satellite methods and are handled by Ornge from there office on Carlson Court by Pearson.

imcleish

Ontario Air Ambulance moved to Carlson Court a few years ago now (3+).

Ontario Air Ambulance downloading was finalized and the Paramedics no longer were employees of the Ministry of Health or Canadian Helicopters almost 2 years ago.

Ontario Air Ambulance was re-launched as Ornge in August 2006.

Ornge Communications has been located in the Carlson Court location since early 2007 as far as I know.

The Pediatric Specialty Nurses (RN) and Patch Physician work out of Carlson Court as well at this time and for the last year or more.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Forts said:
Yep, exactly. I've seen the ones at UH and Vic in London and they look pretty much like a regular desktop phone with a big 'ole Motorola logo on them. And a knob or two which I can only assume is for volume.

McMaster's has a batman logo on theirs, it is red.
It looked like they had 2 phones.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
EJB said:

That's likely the "Hotline" from the Hospital ER to the CACC. It is a regular telephone.

acosell

EJB said:

One is the hotshot direct to CACC, the other is the Base Hospital Patch Hotline. These are both separate from the MC3000.

imcleish

everybody seems to be catching the drift....

We often call the red phone the bat phone....

I have even answered it "Pizza, Pizza" or "City Morgue, you stab'em we slab'em" in the middle of a night shift just for fun. Usually creates a dumbfounded dispatcher....

Status
Not open for further replies.