How About A REAL Desktop Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd119

I would never buy something that big. EVER. It wouldn't fit in my truck and take up too much room on a desk.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

sfd119 said:
I would never buy something that big. EVER. It wouldn't fit in my truck and take up too much room on a desk.

A desktop scanner/receiver such as what we're talking about would not be intended to be installed in a vehicle. So it's size wouldn't be an issue for 99% of mobile installations. (It might work in more of a command post-type vehicle, or someone's personal motorhome/5th wheel/travel trailer, but not for an under-dash or between-the-seats sedan/pickup/SUV installation.)
Yes, depending on what you may already have on a desk/countertop/whathaveyou at home, something like the huge Icom R9500 may be too big. But, it wouldn't be meant for everyone. It'd be meant for those who really want a larger desktop-specific radio, over the typical base/mobile sized scanners we're familiar with today, and who are willing and able to dedicate the room for it.
It would be a niche market within a niche market, which makes it less likely to ever be developed, unfortunately. (But, still, something I'd like to see.)

DPD1

I would go for a biggie model, but I think it probably won't happen. The old school crowd would like it, but most people want stuff to be small now.

safetyobc

I think it comes down to what makes money. They can make a mobile/base that can work for either and sell to those who want either or. I'm not sure enough people would opt for a desktop to justify the R&D to produce it.

Xray

I'm guessing the market for $4,000+ scanners would be pretty slim

N8IAA

I would go for a biggie model, but I think it probably won't happen. The old school crowd would like it, but most people want stuff to be small now.

Tell that to all the ham HF ops who fill their desks with really big radios with really big displays, and then hook them up to even larger monitors:lol:
I haven't seen a desktop since my 895. To bad they try to stuff to much into to little.
Larry

Voyager

Me too, but only if it had a real ANALOG s-meter accurately calibrated in S units and DB above S9

That's an entire thread in itself, as few can agree what an "accurately calibrated" s-meter is. There used to be the Collins standard, and I think only one manufacturer might still adhere to it, but most have abandoned it to trick users into believing that their radios receive better because the s-meter goes higher in a direct comparison.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber

SCPD

QRT
You guys are describing an Icom R7000 but more modern.

That was .. and kinda still is one of the my favorite radios. Well except for the dead capacitors.

But function wise .. they are still great radios and even after all this time, still sought after.

r7000.jpg

MarkPalmer

I like everyone else would love to see another high end, decent desktop scanner from Uniden but we probably won't see one again in the near future. Their last generations of desktops like the BC9000XLT IMHO had tinny sounding, under-power nourished audio. The reason for not making base/desktops is marketing- they just don't sell well enough these days. The younger generations want everything to be as close in every way to an I-Phone as possible, thus the look of the Home Patrol scanners. Things that look like grand-dad's old ham radios won't make scanners appeal to newer generations of buyers. Even if my old BC300's days are numbered for me, I might keep it around just for its good looks and that thing inside it that they used to call a SPEAKER. :)

captncarp

how-about-real-desktop-

Guess my BC796D will have to remain my desk top forever.
Desktop scanners are very popular with women. Fire Dept's and Ambulance Corp's. seem to prefer them in there stations so they can keep track of what is going on with other Services (FD,PD,EMS and HiWay).
In my county Fire and EMS are mostly vhf and uhf and Cops are vhf and trs. so its nice to monitor all systems so you know what might be coming there way.

Status
Not open for further replies.