How About A REAL Desktop Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
Am I the only one who wants a REAL desktop scanner? One that is BIG ENOUGH to have a front-firing speaker, a decent-sized display, an accurate REAL ANALOG S-METER (not that 5-bar LCD crap), and an ergonomic mixture of knobs and buttons?

I don't care if it's too big for mobile use. I want a decent-sized desktop unit. Why can't Uniden make a desktop scanner that looks something like this? :

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/ar3030c.jpg

Yes I know that's a shortwave receiver, but you get my point about the size and layout.

n5ims

No, I'm good. Currently my radio space (with 7 radios of various types) takes up about 1.5 feet of space behind my desk. If those were the large desktop radios like you describe, it would take way more space than that and I'd need a larger room. I would probably need to stand up to control some of them instead of just leaning back as I do now.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Am I the only one who wants a REAL desktop scanner? One that is BIG ENOUGH to have a front-firing speaker, a decent-sized display, an accurate REAL ANALOG S-METER (not that 5-bar LCD crap), and an ergonomic mixture of knobs and buttons?

I'm all for that - as long as it also has a computer control interface and software. I like both the old-style controls and the convenience of the computer. :cool:

PACNWDude

I could go for a desktop scanner. Second on it needing a computer interface and a large S-meter and speaker. So many radios have small tinny sounding speakers now. It would need to be big enough and heavy duty enough to hold other scanners and power supplies for radios on top of it. Sort of like the old Cobra base-station CB radios. Large silver knobs and fake wood grain made the Cobra look like it was made to last.

I could even go for a 19" rack mount style if it was done right and didn't look too futuristic.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Take 4 mobiles and mount them in a nice enclosure and you will have quite the base scanner lol

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987

I don't care if it's too big for mobile use. I want a decent-sized desktop unit. Why can't Uniden make a desktop scanner that looks something like this? :

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/ar3030c.jpg

Yes I know that's a shortwave receiver, but you get my point about the size and layout.

No, you're not the only one. It would be nice. Maybe we could petition Whistler to produce a dedicated desktop scanner when they actually start designing their own models after they release the GRE clones (for lack of a better term).

:)

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Yes, a full sized desktop scanner would be nice. Combine the features of a 25-3000 MHz communications receiver with the features of a multi-trunking scanner, and there ya go.

Para078

Premium Subscriber
And for less than $500.00. These new scanners are a little much for us poor working folks.

n5ims

And for less than $500.00. These new scanners are a little much for us poor working folks.

Expect them to be more, especially if you split up the market from two types, handheld and base/mobile, into three types, handheld, desktop, and mobile. Added cost from the different SKUs will translate into higher costs for the users as well. Also expect the desktop model to be even more due to the physical size and most likely have added (often useless) features as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the selection, but considering that the scanner market is pretty small to begin with, prices can only go up if they further fragment it and add costs due to additional materials for manufacturing, increased shipping & storage costs due to larger size cases (and associated increased weight), etc.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Uniden and Whistler need to think outside the box . With digital encryption use on the rise it would be nice to see the production of a Wide Band scanner with P25 digital capabilities. For example combine a Yaesu VR-5000 with a Uniden Home Patrol -1. Move away from the single Din form factor so you are not limited to space. A true Desk Top Scanner/Receiver .

Last edited:

Boatanchor

Hell Yeh!!

That's one sweet looking (hypothetical) radio.

With good bandpass filtering, high IP3 LNA's & SDR IF with P25 (1&2) & DMR - Drool..

I'd happily pay $1K+ for that :)

drdiesel1

I would buy one in a second, but Uniden doesn't have the firmware expertise to make it happen properly.

Uniden/Others should take the Elecraft approach, firmware coders closely watch the forums constantly making improvements for years after the product is released. If you send an email to Elecraft with a ligament issue, it will get fixed in a timely manor.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
Hell Yeh!!

That's one sweet looking (hypothetical) radio.

With good bandpass filtering, high IP3 LNA's & SDR IF with P25 (1&2) & DMR - Drool..

I'd happily pay $1K+ for that :)

Me too, but only if it had a real ANALOG s-meter accurately calibrated in S units and DB above S9, plus a decent speaker in the FRONT. Would need to be bigger, but that's OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.