How do they do wideband VHF Antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB0VNE

I really hate the short rubber duck antennas for VHF and have always opted for the 2 ft long flex "wire" antennas. I volunteer for CAP that does search and rescue and when you in the middle of noplace and there is no aircraft operating in the area having a good antenna is really nice. *Tried a variety of rubber ducks versus the flex type antennas and think there is a huge difference.

I've got a project where I need to have really wideband antenna for an HT (EF Johnson 5100) like 139 to 160 Mhz. I see these Motorola "wideband" rubber ducks that say they are good from 138-174 Mhz. I'm really scratching my head how this is possible unless this is like that HF "antenna" (dummyload) that had a high wattage 52 Ohm resistor with a wire attached to one end. I've made my own using spring steel wire, heatshrink, connectors and epoxy but I've no clue how to make it resonate more then a couple MHz...

If anyone has an idea how this is designed I would appreciate it. Also if anyone knows a good resource for inexpensive antennas that work for the 5100. *I "think" its just a female SMA connector??? *Anyone who knows if they are standard SMA F and not some weirdo connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.