• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

How do you decode digital signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I've got a rtlsdr dongle and sdr sharp running and I can pick up loads of signals but the only ones I can hear in the clear are conventional radio stations. There seems to be a lot of digital stations but sdr sharp doesn't seem to decode them, any ideas would be appreciated???

I have a few apps i use to decode digital stuff from 30-mhz and up.

Dsd for apco p25
multipsk & Sorcerer for acars
Unitrunker for control channels
pdw for flex 6400 pocsag

boatbod

Premium Subscriber
SDR# only plays regular audio. If you want to decode digital signals such as P25 you need to feed the unfiltered "audio" through Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) into to a 3rd party decoder app such as dsdforwin.

Search around a bit here for instructions on how to do that.

michaeldim

Premium Subscriber
SDR# only plays regular audio. If you want to decode digital signals such as P25 you need to feed the unfiltered "audio" through Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) into to a 3rd party decoder app such as dsdforwin.

Search around a bit here for instructions on how to do that.
It should just be a matter of unchecking the "Filter Audio" box at the bottom of the Audio panel.

You do not need to run VAC to pipe the audio into the decoder apps. Just enable stereo mixer in the recording properties of the sound card.

"What U Hear" Recording - Enable - Windows 7 Forums
While that will work in some regard, it is not the best solution. You see, doing this will capture the audio being played out to your speakers (so in this case, the baseband from SDR#) and send that to DSD. The problem is, when DSD starts producing voice audio, the stereo mix will combine that with the baseband signal and send it back to DSD. Essentially, DSD will interfere with it's own signal, like feedback.

Also, with VAC, you'll be able to mute the baseband signal and only hear the voice. With stereo mix, you'll hear both.

Status
Not open for further replies.