How do you DX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Hi folks,

One of my favorite aspects of radio enthusiasm is DX'ing VHF and higher signals. I've always had that fascination of being able to listen to stuff as far away as possible. This started with my initial exposure to the hobby which was shortwave listening and while that aspect of the hobby remains for me I really enjoy the VHF and above stuff when conditions are right for it. From my location on Cape Cod near the open water I have a great vantage point when tropospheric ducting occurs. From Nova Scotia to Georgia I've been lucky enough to capture and confirm such signals over the years.

But to do so, well, we obviously have to use a combination of decent receivers and antennas to get the job done. I thought I'd start this thread and see what other radio enthusiasts use for equipment.

In my case, I have settled in quite nicely with software defined radios. I've owned several high end receivers over the years, Icom's IC-R7000, IC-R8500, and even the current IC-R8600. I've owned a few AOR AR5000's, and a few other exotic receivers like a rack mounted Watkins-Johnson. However....I have always enjoyed using SDR's, and as far as I'm concerned (your mileage may vary) the combination of the Airspy SDRs with SDR# software and DSD+ software (fast lane version) are ideal. Being able to see up to 8 MHz of spectrum at once (I usually look at about 2 MHz at a time but they are capable of 8) is an amazing advantage given the point and click to tune nature of the software. The DSD+ plug-in for SDR# allows for the instant decoding of an unencrypted P25, DMR, NXDN, and others. Other plug-ins I regularly use with SDR# are CTCSS and DCS tone decoders. These help greatly in the identification of distant unknown signals.

All of the hardware receivers are gone. I have scanners on hand of course, but I have really found the niche with the Airspy. While I know it is not as good as a $2300 receiver it surely does a more than admirable job when used in the above setup, in my case anyway. I have attached a screenshot of one of the two Airspy setups I have available. I use a currently tower mounted Comet GP-15 for the VHF and UHF bands, and AntennaCraft Scantenna ST-2's for other bands such as VHF-LO and 800 MHz.

So....how do you DX?

DX.jpg

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am DXing distant vhf with an Icom R8600 and SDS200 via antenna switching between a Diamond NJ130 discone and a directional yagi, both about 30-ft high on a mast attached to the side of the house. Must admit I am using the R8600 more and more as I find the filters amazing and easy to fine tune. I also DX the HF bands with both an Icom R75 and the R8600 using an end-fed PAR 40-ft dipole that works well for domestic DXing, but recently I went to a website where SDR radios were online and I found my reception seriously lacking. I chase the frequency listings on the UDX list and have a good time with those. I just ordered a W6LVP loop antenna that I plan to mount on a heavy duty tripod in the backyard, hopefully I will see better results.

I have the RTL dongle and SDR# and have played around with it, but do not have the DSD+ or know too much about it, but the more I read the more I am intrigued. I need a crash course on SDR# with the scanner plugin and DSD+ so where is a good place to start? I'm always up for a new adventure.

This should be a cool thread, hearing what other folks are using to DX. Can always use the good tips and tricks!

JD
kf4anc

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I should mention I also use an Airspy HF+ with a Wellbrook Loop for HF reception. Primary interest is what's left of utility DX'ing. You will be very happy with the loop; it has made a HUGE difference for me given its low noise capability in a high noise neighborhood. I am smack in the middle of quarter acre lots with houses full of 21st century electronics, as well as above ground (old) electric and cable construction. The loop rules.

I don't want to get off of the thread topic but DSD+ is one of the greatest things to happen to the hobby. It really works superbly and the $25 onetime payment for a lifetime of updates to the latest and greatest version is more than worth it. It is easy to interface it with SDR#. Each plug-in has a "magic" line that goes into the .ini file for SDR#, and a few files that go into the folder that SDR# is in, and the plug-ins appear on the left side menu. There should be a ton of threads here that will help you along or I'd be glad to help off-list.

I had the IC-R8600 for a while and I did enjoy it, but honestly? I am spoiled by the large screen and the point and click to tune that SDR# has. I know I'm not getting the performance I'd get out of the 8600, but the Airspy has a lot of bang for the buck. It really sees weak signals; sometimes to the extent that said signals are too weak for audio to be decoded, but it is highly customizable and configurable, and it for me fits perfectly into the DX'ing aspect of the hobby. For the aforementioned Airspy HF+ however I use SDR Console by Simon Brown. It to me is the best HF SDR software there is.

UniTrunker is a fun DXing tool also. I have sat here and used it to decode the State of Delaware 800 MHz system during some more intense band openings. It works well with the Airspy or the RTL dongles.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Glad to hear good things about the loop, I am looking forward to it. Haven't rec'd tracking information yet but it should be here next week. Yes, I need to sit down with SDR# and DSD+ and start goofing around with it. I downloaded the scanner plugin for it but couldn't get it to work for me so I kinda neglected it for a while. Good project for a boring day ;)

JD
kf4anc

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I DX with an RTL-SDR dongle and a discone antenna. DXing depends on the band, e.g. with these warm days and cool nights here in NJ, my first stop is NOAA wx stations to see if distant stations are heard. Also, I look at the spectral scan of the 2m band and listen for distant rptrs. Decoding APRS signals for distant stations is another tool.

It's also fun to DX the Over the Air TV bands. Interestingly, at this QTH, if there is ground fog in the morning, usually rush hour, I'll turn the TV antenna in different directions and scan for distant stations. Just last week a station from Harrisburg, PA was coming in, that was exciting. Over the years have logged stations from MD, VA, CT.

Have not done any UHF DXing though.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip>
Have not done any UHF DXing though.

UHF ducts quite well through fog. When I’m at the Oregon coast a UHF dispatch channel from the inland Willamette valley booms in clear as a bell whenever the coast mountains are socked in with fog. The intervening mountains are 2000-3000 feet high, so it’s pretty impressive. Not a peep out of that county when the weather is clear, but clear weather sometimes brings good tropo ducting at the coast. I’ve heard dispatch channels from a hundred miles either way up or down the coast when conditions are just right. When it’s rainy it’s a struggle just to hear the neighbor county to the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.