How do you program your TRX-1, TRX-2 scanners?

How do you program your TX-1, TX-2 scanners?

• 4) I use another program

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I highly customize the programming of my scanners. I find EZ Scan to be anything but easy to use. I wonder what everyone else is doing.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I like both Sentinel and EZ Scan, they both have their merits, both have pros and cons, but both are very 'user friendly' once you get to know them and get comfortable with them. For the TRX-1, definitely EZ Scan and Library Import directly to a Scan List.

JD
kf4anc

Cameronkc7itp

Premium Subscriber
I tried EZ Scan, but ultimately decided I would rather program everything myself. All just a matter of preference.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I use the PREFERRED method under library import, pick and choose what I want, and put it where I want. Then I go in and tweak settings.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
gmclam - I Program my Pro-668 by County then by City. I have a Playlist for Each county in my 9 County Region in SF Bay area.
we have Several Multi-County Systems in Operation some use Analog and Others use P25 Phase I.
Yeah that sounds a lot like how I program. I have a certain order to how channels are entered. County then city. Law enforcement, then fire, etc. I am finding a LOT of issues with EZ Scan. You can't "move" entries (other than trunk sites). When you enter TGs for a trunked site, it sorts them in TG order (YUCK). I don't see a way to copy what is programmed (even to the clipboard) so I can build another profile from what I've already done. I see no way to change the defaults (such as delay on with 3.0 seconds instead of off with 2.0 seconds). I mean the list is LOOONNNNGGG.

What I see is that EZ Scan provides a means for people to obtain the RR DB and get it into the scanner. Further selection is done by zip code or some personal choices that were very simple. I have to wonder how many people steered away from these models because of this huge oversight (not to mention that downloading the software from their site is "browser limited").

Thanks

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that sounds a lot like how I program. I have a certain order to how channels are entered. County then city. Law enforcement, then fire, etc. I am finding a LOT of issues with EZ Scan. You can't "move" entries (other than trunk sites). When you enter TGs for a trunked site, it sorts them in TG order (YUCK). I don't see a way to copy what is programmed (even to the clipboard) so I can build another profile from what I've already done. I see no way to change the defaults (such as delay on with 3.0 seconds instead of off with 2.0 seconds). I mean the list is LOOONNNNGGG.

What I see is that EZ Scan provides a means for people to obtain the RR DB and get it into the scanner. Further selection is done by zip code or some personal choices that were very simple. I have to wonder how many people steered away from these models because of this huge oversight (not to mention that downloading the software from their site is "browser limited").

Thanks
You need to break your old habits of other software, once you open your mind to the way ezscan works you will see it really is EASY.

No you cannot copy anything in ezscan and that is due to the licensing agreement with this website. SO set everything up in a spread sheet like excel or openoffice(free) then you can copy and paste that data into ANY scanner programming software.

You can move anything, simply by going to the column that says Scanlist and unchecking the current scanlist, then checking off the list you want to move it to.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You need to break your old habits of other software, once you open your mind to the way ezscan works you will see it really is EASY.
It is easy if you are importing from RR. Not easy to customize, which is the entire purpose.

No you cannot copy anything in ezscan and that is due to the licensing agreement with this website. SO set everything up in a spread sheet like excel or openoffice(free) then you can copy and paste that data into ANY scanner programming software.
I am using all of Don Starr's software (WINxxx) and a few others (FreeScan, etc); they have the ability to import from RR and then export as I see fit. OK, so you can't export to the clipboard, you need to be able to "copy" a "system" from one profile into another.

You can move anything, simply by going to the column that says Scanlist and unchecking the current scanlist, then checking off the list you want to move it to.
When I say move, I mean change the order of the channels or talkgroups. I can't be limited to sorted by TG value. Crazy.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Excel to CSV to EZScan for the Conventional stuff. EZScan imported from RR for the trunked systems. It's my primary mobile rig, and I travel all over California for pleasure and occasionally public safety. So I have very customized scanlists based on both geographic boundaries as well as agencies and disciplines. I went to Excel and manual entry after a year because EZScan can't do the heavy lifting of 2000+ channels in nearly 200 scanlists that I need.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Excel to CSV to EZScan for the Conventional stuff. EZScan imported from RR for the trunked systems. It's my primary mobile rig, and I travel all over California for pleasure and occasionally public safety. So I have very customized scanlists based on both geographic boundaries as well as agencies and disciplines. I went to Excel and manual entry after a year because EZScan can't do the heavy lifting of 2000+ channels in nearly 200 scanlists that I need.
Unfortunately I expect that people who don't use the so-called preferred method must either do it this way or use other software. For my trial run I was copying from WIN500 to EZS via the clipboard, but that still leaves a lot of stuff that doesn't get set. I too was using the Excel method to get from different generations of scanners, but their software has full copy & paste functions. Thanks

DJ11DLN

It is easy if you are importing from RR. Not easy to customize, which is the entire purpose.

I am using all of Don Starr's software (WINxxx) and a few others (FreeScan, etc); they have the ability to import from RR and then export as I see fit. OK, so you can't export to the clipboard, you need to be able to "copy" a "system" from one profile into another.

When I say move, I mean change the order of the channels or talkgroups. I can't be limited to sorted by TG value. Crazy.
My understanding is that these scanners do not scan talkgroups. They sit on the control channel and look for channel grants to compare to talkgroups programmed and enabled. So order wouldn't matter on TSYS objects, just on conventionals, which can be put in whatever order you choose. Correct me if I'm wrong please, I am not trying to be a smart-aleck here, just better understand your situation.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that these scanners do not scan talkgroups. They sit on the control channel and look for channel grants to compare to talkgroups programmed and enabled. So order wouldn't matter on TSYS objects, just on conventionals, which can be put in whatever order you choose. Correct me if I'm wrong please, I am not trying to be a smart-aleck here, just better understand your situation.
You are entirely correct. The point of organizing stuff has NOTHING to do with trying to tell the scanner how to scan. It has everything to do with (manually) finding what you want to hear.

Consider that you're out somewhere, not at a computer, and an incident happens. Everyone switches to a specific channel or TG by name. I can presently get there on my scanners because I know how things are ordered. Can't do that if software does what it wants.

DJ11DLN

You are entirely correct. The point of organizing stuff has NOTHING to do with trying to tell the scanner how to scan. It has everything to do with (manually) finding what you want to hear.

Consider that you're out somewhere, not at a computer, and an incident happens. Everyone switches to a specific channel or TG by name. I can presently get there on my scanners because I know how things are ordered. Can't do that if software does what it wants.
OK I understand your concerns now. I handle this by using multiple scan lists so that things become manageable when I need to drill down on a certain TG. It works for me, but as with everything, YMMV. E-Z Scan isn't perfect, but it does come included without having to be purchased separately and doesn't require the premium subscription to import...I guess to my mind that forgives some lack of functionality.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Order is for those with OCD , start each alpha tag with a number, then they will be in order

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Order is for those with OCD , start each alpha tag with a number, then they will be in order
Not for advanced scanning techniques with California Highway Patrol and their split base/mobile TX.

I do number my scanlists so it's easy to see where I am in the list of things, but actual channel order can be strategic in how you control what gets to your scanner first.

Status
Not open for further replies.