how hard is it to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
mod. motorola external speakers for use w/ a scanner...also if anybody knows of a good, deep sounding, external speaker other than motorola and has a 1/8 jack please let me know. I have a radio shack external speaker and it is JUNK! It sounds like a tin can.

Thanks,

Alex

mancow

Database Admin
It's just a matter of putting a 1/8" jack on it from radioshack. I found a Motorola Syntor speaker with the plug that is square with two offset holes. I found that the 1/8" plug type end from an Adaptaplug power cable fits perfectly. The two pins on the back of the adapter plug right into the cable end and it's like it's factory made.

Other than that I just cut the end of the old speaker and solder a new 1/8" jack on it.

If you are talking about an SVA amplified speaker then there's more to it but watch out. Those things will launch you out of a room at 3/4 volume.

Asmitty0010 said:
mod. motorola external speakers for use w/ a scanner...also if anybody knows of a good, deep sounding, external speaker other than motorola and has a 1/8 jack please let me know. I have a radio shack external speaker and it is JUNK! It sounds like a tin can.

Thanks,

Alex

Mancow's pretty much right-on. What I've done in the past is get a 1/8" plug molded to audio wire from a patch cable or something, open up the speaker, and make the connections inside. This does a number of things for me:

1. It's easier to solder pieces of wire together than it is to solder a 1/8" plug to the end of wires.

2. It's easier to protect soldered connections that are inside of the durable, Motorola plastic speaker housing.

3. The molded 1/8" plug is much more durable IMO than a soldered-on plug.

4. I can adjust the length of the wire to my taste without it looking like some kludge.

5. I have an opportunity to check on the interior parts of the speaker.

You're right... for me there is no speaker that sounds as good as a Motorola... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.