how to add to wiki pagt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I have collected data about the NC State parks radio systems.
Unit IDs etc.

Should I start a nes wiki page or add onto the NC dept of natural resources wiki page?

How do i do this?

The user guide is not clear to me, a first time user.

I need guidance and clear instructions.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If this new data related to the NC DNR, then a link from that page would be appropriate. If it doesn't, then a new page is called for

Now the harder questions; do these NC State Parks use a trunked system or are they strictly repeaters? If they use a trunk system, then we have a completely different set of guidelines, but let's start with assuming they are all on some sort of analog repeaters.

I would start by building your data off-line; a simple column format - no table needed - is likely the easiest to start with. Using a good text based editor like Notepad ++ (which is free) is highly recommended as it's lots more efficient than Windows Notepad at building several pages at once. A simple format like this could be a starting point;

Harnett County Public Safety Radio IDs - The RadioReference Wiki

See how everything is preceded by an asterisk (shift of 8)? That's the easy way to create unordered lists. no HTML breaks or other nonsense needed.

Now, the next trick is to decide what categories the data belongs in. A category is a wiki construct that gathers all articles with a common theme in one place. You can easily find out which categories we have defined for North Carolina by cutting / pasting the following code in your user page;

{{findcat |entity=North_Carolina}}

When you store this, it should become a URL. Click on it, and you will be taken to the section in the wiki that lists all the North Carolina categories. If you don't see something you need, post it here and we'll see what we can do. By policy, every article must belong to at least 1 category, even if it's only North Carolina's state name. A category is written thusly;

[[Category:North Carolina]]

An article can belong to more than 1 category, each should be written on a separate line for ease of maintenance..

Next; what to do when you're ready to test and publish your code....Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Remember I mentioned your user page? It's found on the left; look down until you see your name. Let's assume for a moment that it's your callsign; click on it and you will get a blank page. This is your own testing area where you can test each of your article(s) before they go out to the public. Just copy / paste them in, and remember to ALWAYS save your changes. There is a preview function; that will NOT store anything. This page has a limited size, so I would suggest testing 1 article at a time. You can link other pages to your user page, and that brings us to the most important topic.

Linking pages is real easy. If I wanted to put a link to the North Carolina home page on the wiki, you simply write;

[[North Carolina (US)]]

It will turn blue when the code is stored. A red link means that the wiki can't find it. Spelling, caps and punctuation all count - please avoid using the '&' sign as that gives MediaWiki fits. By policy all pages must link to something; it's up to you to decide where the articles you write link from.

A new article will always come up red. So when you're ready, you put the link in, store the page (which will turn the link red). Click on the red link, and you will be taken to a blank page. Copy / paste your data, save it and voila, you've just published your first article

This is the official language guide...
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents

Oh yes, before you ask - the wiki can't handle cutting/pasting as a spreadsheet, although we can store it.

OK so far? Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.