How to get Coax inside w/o drilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

af5rn

Yeah, that's similar to what I did at my last house. Ran the big fat coax down to a first floor window, where I layed a 2x4 with a hole drilled in it across the bottom of the window frame. I just put silicone around the coax after it fed through the hole, as well as weather stripping the top, bottom, and sides of the 2x4. I had those little window security clamps on the window so it could not be raised from the outside. It's no less secure than any other single pane window that can be easily broken anyhow.

hoser147

I have mine ran into the house thru a roof vent, to the attic area. It worked pretty sweet, cut a small hole in the downward face of the vent with some snips put a PVC sleeve in the holes and siliconed it in place, ran the coax thru the pvc. From there just dropped it into the room needed. Hoser

Chevyman22360

hoser147 said:
I have mine ran into the house thru a roof vent, to the attic area. It worked pretty sweet, cut a small hole in the downward face of the vent with some snips put a PVC sleeve in the holes and siliconed it in place, ran the coax thru the pvc. From there just dropped it into the room needed. Hoser
Isn't it reccommended to run the coax in at ground level? I have read this different places. I have mine running through the soffit into the attic and then down as you stated and I was going to re route.

n5ims

While it is recommended to run all coax to ground level, where it would connect to appropriate lightning protection and then be routed to the radio, this is not always practical. Just be sure to provide the best lightning protection for external antennas possible given the specific environment.

If this is to have an isolated tower with independent power, equipment shack, etc. fine. If all you can do is run through a ground block (properly grounded, of course) where the coax enters the building near your attic then that's fine as well. Obviously, the first solution would provide better lightning protection and isolation than the latter solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.