How to get Coax inside w/o drilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I don't know about using that but I have mine run through just a window itself, I have a window A/C unit in the window also so it works pretty well.. I don't know how that would be compatible..I suppose you'd have to have adapters on the end of it to narrow it down to your type of cable, I haven't a clue how it works though...

jim202

Those straps use F connectors and is designed for the cable TV and satellite market.
Not real fond of them and if you have a tight fitting door or window that you open
much, your going to chew them up. Had one on my sliding patio door and it was always
moving and had to be put back to where I wanted it for the door to close.

Jim

cowboymike1971 said:
Hey i came across this in a google search for something that would get coax into the house without drilling thru the building. Would this work well?

www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=WRFC200

Would like to hear some ideas or replys to this. thanks...

Ok thanks for that input. In my personal opinion i was kind of skeptical about it. Seems like it might be a pain more than anything. Was curious to see if anyone else was using them.

n5ims

My daughter uses these for DirecTV in her apartment and they work OK. With them running through a window that he nearly never opened, they appear to last pretty well.

While I'd normally not recommend them due to the loss and reliability issues, they work well for her so I’d say use them when necessary, but only when other, better, routes are not available.

K4DHR

Running a cable through a soffit or ridge vent vent is also a way to avoid having to drill through an exterior wall, since both are usually completely open to the attic. Then its just a matter of dropping it down into a wall.

af5rn

K4DHR said:
Running a cable through a soffit or ridge vent vent is also a way to avoid having to drill through an exterior wall, since both are usually completely open to the attic. Then its just a matter of dropping it down into a wall.
That's the most feasible for most homeowners. But if you do that, be sure you leave a drip loop in the coax before it enters the attic. Otherwise, rain is going to ride the coax straight into your attic, and eventually through your ceiling.

I used to run into those flat cables all the time when I did cable tv installs and I'm not real fond of them as well. There were almost always ingress problems (ghosting on broadcast channels), weak signal problems (grainy picture), digital cable was always heavily pixilated and cable modems wouldn't work at all. (I understand some people have some luck with them, I've never seen it personally.)

If all that was happening to the (already) heavily amplified CATV signal, imagine what's happening to all those far away transmitters you're trying to pick up with your receiver!

I like that idea above with the plexiglas feed-thru, that's pure genius.

57Bill

If you have a double-hung window, close it down on a 2X4, and drill the hole in the 2X4. Of course, fit the 2x4 snuggly, end-to-end across the width of the window.

OK guys, lets hear from ya. what are my options? I want to get my outdoor antenna up on my deck here but am renting and can't drill thru building. What options do i have? someone has to have conquered this dilemma... :)

DCMon

locked or not

57Bill said:
If you have a double-hung window, close it down on a 2X4, and drill the hole in the 2X4. Of course, fit the 2x4 snuggly, end-to-end across the width of the window.
How do you lock the window if you use this method.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
DCMon said:

This is a variation of a method I use. I lock the window by driving a couple of screws into the frame so that the window won't open. It's a rarely opened window, but if it absolutely must be opened, I take the screws out.

ke5ldo

I have used this product from . http://www.qsradio.com/Feed-Thru.jpg for almost 2 years. I have noticed NO increase in noise or fuel cost and it holds 2, or 4 antennas, or you canhave one made special order up to 12 antenna connections, be it, F, SO-239, or BNC, or a mixture.. Much cheaper than the MFJ lookalike.

:

scrotumola

DCMon said:

I've used this method before and to secure the window, I've cut another 1x2 to the length of the top of the window sill to the top of the now lifted window. The 1x2 will fit in the track of the side window sill. One other recommendation is to use a foam-type seal with sticky tape or other adhesive to seal the area between the top and lower window as well as the area around the 2x4 window insert (as seen in the top of the plexiglass pass-through in the above post.)

Good luck. Its worked very very well for me.

~S~

N8RUS

Do you have a basement window that can be removed and replaced with treated plywood cut to fit? Save the window to replace the plywood insert should you move. Drill away thru the wood insert.......

I can't do anyhitng that requires modification to existing building or property. So no cutting or anyhting that invloves removing windows etc. I'm not in a basement Condo either. I'm on the 3rd floor.The window opens left to right not up and down. I'm thinking that plexi-glass style approach may be my best bet. unless there are other suggestions.. Either that or I will need to find the best mag mount scanner antenna for putting inside the window on the sill any suggestions on those would be appreciated as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.