• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to power a vintage CB radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone,I have a vintage Pearce Simpson Tiger40A CB radio and I was wondering how to power it? I attached some pictures of the power cords.

Pearce Simpson "Tiger 40A"

Attachments

• IMG_8301 copy.jpg
    IMG_8301 copy.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,647
  • IMG_8302 copy.jpg
    IMG_8302 copy.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,235
  • IMG_8304 copy.jpg
    IMG_8304 copy.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,574

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Powera vintage CB

The picture suggests that the screw in the black lead was used to ground it to the car body and the red lead went to the positive connection, which should be directly to the battery or an empty spot in the fuse panel. If this has not been used recently, I would get a good quality variable power supply intended for use with 12 volt two way radios. Connect the radio according to the instructions, making sure the AC power is off, and start with the voltage turned to 0. Turn on the power supply and gradually bring the voltage up to about 13 volts. If you notice any noises or smoke, turn it off fast. If all goes well, hook up your antenna and you are good to go. Old radio have parts that may not age well, and a sudden surge of voltage can spell instant death.

LtDoc

Very basically, the red wire goes to the (+) terminal, the black wire to the (-) terminal. The suggestion about starting at a lower voltage and going to the 'normal' voltage is a fairly good one! Things age, and that sometimes means that they won't work as expected or at all. Finding that out at a low voltage means less components may fail, meaning less repairs (maybe).
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Cruiseomatic

Slow power up is a good idea, But First, take the cover off and visually check it. It may have an obvious short or corroded wire and powering it up could kill it beyond resurrection. I take the same approach with these type of radio's as I do old tube radios before I do a restore on them.

KBEX

I have an old 80s CB I power with a micronta 12volt regulated power supply, check out the Pyramid PS3KX it's pretty reasonable at 17 to 20 bucks online.

TheCam

Its 12 V, just attach it to a 12 V auto battery, nothing bad can happen, it is only 12 volt. Put a 2-5 amp fuse in, if it blows, put a 10 amp fuse in, if that blows, scrap the project for a 30 yr old CB radio.

Good Luck

Big_Ears

Maybe check the reverse polarity diode where the power wires connect to the circuit board (if there is one). If is shorted, remove (or replace) before powering up.

keevel

Anybody remember those "Booster" power supplies where you passed your antenna output through the power supply and while receiving the radio would be supplied with 12 volts and then when you hit the transmit key the voltage was raised to 15 or 16 volts to give max un amplified output?

Status
Not open for further replies.