• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to Program PA Digital Radio Network TYT MD-390

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Could someone please tell me how or point me to a reference for programming the following system in Delaware County, PA using the TYT CPS on a MD-390?

PA Digital Radio Network Trunking System, Various, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies

The first problem that I see, is that Site 014 (E) Concordville Delaware 02 502.9125c will not be able to programmed into a MD-390 because it is out of it's frequency range, so I will have to use the Philadelphia site. Will that limit my ability to monitor the system?

I've searched this forum to see how to program a Connect Plus system, but haven't had any luck. I also posted a message in the Pennsylvania forum a few days ago and no one responded. Is it possible that it cannot be programmed into this radio?

Thanks,
Rich

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The MD-390 is Tier I and II only, it DOES NOT support trunking. You cannot program control channels; the radio will not understand control channel data. You'd have to program and scan the voice channels directly after figuring out color code.

Add all of the talkgroups as digital contacts, then create a Digital RX Group List with all of the contacts. Create 2 channel presets for each voice frequency within range, one configured for timeslot 1 and the other configured for timeslot 2. Use the Digital RX Group List containing all of the known talkgroups as the Group List for each channel preset.

Add all of these channel presets to a Scan List.

Create a placeholder/dummy channel flagged as RX Only, and check Auto Scan. Set its Scan List to the Scan List containing all of the system channels.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I just started looking at it tonight and am at a standstill because I do not know the color codes. I have a RTL-SDR RTL2832U R820T2 TCXO dongle, so I'm going to have to learn DSD+ and try to figure it out. I will post a message in the PA forum to see if anyone has the information.

Scratch that. I just learned that if you click on the site name, you get the color code. I'll keep at it and let you know.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There should only be one color code per repeater/site. Program a set of channels, one with each of the 16 codes, and see which one works.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I found the color codes by clicking on the site name. I'm only interested in 1 talkgroup. I added the talkgroup/contact to GroupList1 and added the contact to the Contact Name and GroupList1 for each channel. Is this correct?

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Also, if I was interested in multiple talkgroups/contacts, would I add all of them to the GroupList, select that GroupList for each channel and then select "None" for Contact Name? Would that look for all contacts in the GroupList?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
"None" for Contact Name might work if the channel is configured RX-only. If it doesn't, just pick a random Contact that also appears in the Group List. If you select a Group List, then the radio will play all traffic matching any talkgroup in the Group List.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
There is only one contact which is the only talkgroup/contact that I'm interested in, so I have each channel's contact name as that digital contact. I was curious about that for other single frequency entities that I listen to. I have a hospital system that I listen to that has a different frequency for each location, but I'm not sure if I have all of the correct talkgroups. Does this mean that I can have a group of digital contacts, select "None" for the Contact Name of each channel, select the grouplist that contains all of the contacts and it will scan for all contacts in that grouplist for each channel as long as I select RX Only for each channel? That would make life much easier for me. I have no interest in or would be permitted to transmit on any of these channels.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes.

Except possibly selecting "None" as the Contact Name.

I would create an RX Group List and call it "Hospital" and put all of the hospital talkgroup Contacts into it, then select Hospital as the Group List for all of the Hospital channels. Then you will hear all of the traffic on any hospital talkgroup.

If you discover a new talkgroup, create a Digital Contact for that talkgroup, then add that to the Hospital RX Group List. That will automatically add that talkgroup to all of your hospital channels.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Works great! Thanks for everything. Your expertise would make a great FAQ. I'm sure there are many others in the same boat that I'm in.

I do see the LED turn green without activity on the talkgroup. Does this mean that there is other activity on the channel, other than the users of this talkgroup?

Sorry to hijack my own thread again, but if I'm listening to our school district, which uses only one channel, do I also create two channels, one for each slot, or just stick with the slot that I have configured in the channel that I presently use?

Thanks again,

Rich

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Sorry to hijack my own thread again, but if I'm listening to our school district, which uses only one channel, do I also create two channels, one for each slot, or just stick with the slot that I have configured in the channel that I presently use?

Yes. You should have 2 Channels per frequency, configured identically except one configured timeslot 1, and one configured timeslot 2. You can copy and paste channel settings in the tree view on the left, and then change timeslot setting.

If you see the green activity light with no audio, then either you're missing traffic on the other timeslot, or there are active talkgroups not in your Group List.

Status
Not open for further replies.