How to tell if a system is trunked

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepatitan

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I have searched and searched and maybe I am asking the wrong question to google and RR.
I would like to find frequencies in my area that are not listed yet but know that they have a fcc license.
This is first time I'm trying to do this so please bear with me.
Wast management is a garbage company in my area, I found their license on the fcc website
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - KNEU761 - WASTE MANAGEMENT HOLDINGS INC. - Locations Summary
it says it is current and does have a tower located about 10 miles from my house south by southwest. I can pick up most traffic from Camelback mountain which is about 12 miles away west.
So their main fixed antenna is a FB4 which is saying is a community repeater which can be conventional or LTR. I'm assuming I would want to listen to 463.6250 which would be the closest repeater to me.
I've currently been using a uniden homepatrol 2 with the extreme upgrade. My issue is, I tried doing a conventional discovery mode on that frequency 463.6250, but it was just short bursts of static. I did not get a pl code for anything it found, so I'm assuming it is a trunked system. But... I can only analyze trunked systems if it is in the nationwide database (I think)
Again I'm very new at trying to do this so bear with my long post and possible incorrect thoughts on what is going on.
Thanks

ecps92

Radio Shops / License Holders don't always follow the rules, that said my comments are based solely on reading the actual FCC License.

FB4 - does mean a Community Repeater, but does require each User Agency/Company to hold a license.

The License is an IG - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional
which means Not Trunked.

In the emissions it is listed as 11K2F3E
which is Analog

Ok so I have searched and searched and maybe I am asking the wrong question to google and RR.
I would like to find frequencies in my area that are not listed yet but know that they have a fcc license.
This is first time I'm trying to do this so please bear with me.
Wast management is a garbage company in my area, I found their license on the fcc website
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - KNEU761 - WASTE MANAGEMENT HOLDINGS INC. - Locations Summary
it says it is current and does have a tower located about 10 miles from my house south by southwest. I can pick up most traffic from Camelback mountain which is about 12 miles away west.
So their main fixed antenna is a FB4 which is saying is a community repeater which can be conventional or LTR. I'm assuming I would want to listen to 463.6250 which would be the closest repeater to me.
I've currently been using a uniden homepatrol 2 with the extreme upgrade. My issue is, I tried doing a conventional discovery mode on that frequency 463.6250, but it was just short bursts of static. I did not get a pl code for anything it found, so I'm assuming it is a trunked system. But... I can only analyze trunked systems if it is in the nationwide database (I think)
Again I'm very new at trying to do this so bear with my long post and possible incorrect thoughts on what is going on.
Thanks

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Based on that ULS link, 463.625 is showing an analog voice emission code of 11K2F3E, so it wouldn't be a DMR data signal. DMR emission codes are typically 7K60FXD for data and 7K60FXE for voice

nepatitan

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shops / License Holders don't always follow the rules, that said my comments are based solely on reading the actual FCC License.

FB4 - does mean a Community Repeater, but does require each User Agency/Company to hold a license.

The License is an IG - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional
which means Not Trunked.

In the emissions it is listed as 11K2F3E
which is Analog

ok so I was partially right at my findings, I got like 20 tabs open lol.
should I try to do a discovery and let it run for a few hours?
I believe they pick up garbage in the area today.

nepatitan

Premium Subscriber
Based on that ULS link, 463.625 is showing an analog voice emission code of 11K2F3E, so it wouldn't be a DMR data signal. DMR emission codes are typically 7K60FXD for data and 7K60FXE for voice

so I can google the codes and it will usually show me more info on that?

nd5y

not buzzing, just kinda very low static. Only comes on for a second or so.
How long are the data bursts and how often do they repeat?
It could be LTR, Passport or IDAS trunking or something else like GPS RTK. It could be something else besides the license you posted.

nepatitan

Premium Subscriber
How long are the data bursts and how often do they repeat?
It could be LTR, Passport or IDAS trunking or something else like GPS RTK. It could be something else besides the license you posted.

The bursts are about 1 second long.
Thats why I was wondering if i should let it run longer and see what else pops up

nepatitan

Premium Subscriber
FCC license search also reveals this licensee in close proximity to the licensee you posted & this one has DMR emissions on the same frequency (site 4, Stroudsburg, PA):
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WPMT607
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WPMT607 - INDUSTRIAL COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY - Frequencies Summary
Perhaps this is what you are hearing?

yes I should definitely be able to pick up site 4 and 5. I have the discovery in progress. I'll let it run for an hour and see what I come up with. But I think you are right. Its difficult though to know which businesses use cellphones now as opposed to radios. I see the WM is active until 2024 but that doesn;t mean they necessarily use it right?

nepatitan

Premium Subscriber
That's what makes our hobby so much fun. Figuring out who uses what :)

lol fun and when you're new CONFUSING lol.
From what I've seen industrial communications is HUGE here. Its been around a while and I think bell or some other phone company owned it in the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.