How to tell if trunking list database is up to date?

How do I tell if the trunking systems listed here are up to date?

I found some LTR systems in the list that I would like to program
into my Pro-164, but it would not be good if they are not up do date
or they have switched to a digital system.

ecps92

How do I tell if the trunking systems listed here are up to date?

Retirement of systems. as with anything in the RRDB is by USER submission.

Not everyone makes the contributions. With that said, I would put them in, and if you can validate (OTA - actual Over the Air monitoring)
that they are no longer in service, made a DB submissions.

For an LTR, try it, then if you hear nothing put in the freqs as conventional and see if you
a. Hear the tell-tale Click/pulse
b. still hear the Morse/CW ID

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
It's all about trial and error. I checked a few of the DB listings at random & most haven't seen an update in well over a decade, Doesn't necessarily mean they're no longer in use. It won't hurt to program them in and monitor for activity, maybe on a business day when more subscribers could potentially be online

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
It's been a few years since I was last in Houston, so it is likely a number of those Analog (LTR Standard and Motorola Type II) systems are long gone as it gets more expensive to find parts to keep them operational. Just picking Shell Deer Park at random shows DMR Digital on their license as well as analog, so there's likely a Motorola Capacity Max digital system replacing the Motorola Type II system. The Exxon Mobil sites in Baytown look like they may have gone P25 digital according to their licenses.

Might I suggest you ask over in the Texas Discussion forum - there are several people from the Houston area that might be able to help you verify the status of systems. I've done a lot of work myself cleaning up the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, and there's still more to be done.

I used to know of a website that had audio samples of various digital signals so you could at least have a guess as to what type of system it was out there using your analog scanner, but I can't seem to find it now.

Sadly, the days of your Pro-164 being useful for picking up anything are getting numbered by the day as analog goes away, especially in large metropolitan areas like Houston, so you might want to begin budgeting for an upgrade.

Might I suggest you ask over in the Texas Discussion forum - there are several people from the Houston area that might be able to help you verify the status of systems. I've done a lot of work myself cleaning up the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, and there's still more to be done.

Will post there when I get the chance.
Thanks for the tips too.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Might I suggest you ask over in the Texas Discussion forum - there are several people from the Houston area that might be able to help you verify the status of systems.

To avoid wasting time programming something in like a possible outdated LTR system, do as @mwjones suggested and request this be moved to the proper state forum. Those folks should know. You could also search the name of the systems in question in the state forum and read about any changes that may have taken place.