• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Howard County brevity code question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been listening to Howard County Fire and Police since the mid 80's (including as a volunteer firefighter at station 9 long ago) and I have been able to keep up with the changes fairly well. But I am stumped on the NR codes that the police are using now. I am pretty sure NR is no report, right? As opposed to RTF which is Report to File.
So now they are throwing a brevity code out after the NR. Is this some sort of standard list of reasons for there being no report? Where would you record a code if there is no report?

Also what is an FIR? I thought it referred to a Fire Incident Report. But that doesn't jive with the way they seem to use FIR.

Thanks,
-Matt

Not sure about "NR codes" but in AA Co. an "FIR" is a "Field Interrogation Report". It's just a brief report that the officer would complete after a brief questioning of someone "in the field" in reference to a number of things (such as stopping someone to question them if they match a description of a suspect, etc). Hope this helps.

One example I heard today on Bravo 1 was "10-8 NR. NR code o-3" Even though he said "o-3" I am pretty it was just code 3. Thanks for the info on the FIR, that makes a lot more sense now.

I also thought of something I forgot to ask in my original post.
On the fire department side, why does station 2 have two separate alert tones now? I have not been able to figure out the pattern behind them. Example: 2 and 8 run an ALS call with no MDO dispatched, and there are 3 sets of station alerts. 1 for 8 and 2 for 2.

Thanks again,
-Matt

Matt;
I was always under the ASS-u-mption (yes, I know about assuming!) that RTF was report to follow, but report to file makes just as much sense.

I, personally, haven't listened to HCPD since they switched to 800; I only listen to HCFR via Savage VFC's online scanner. My scanners are all conventional, non 800 stuff.

menglish said:
I also thought of something I forgot to ask in my original post.
On the fire department side, why does station 2 have two separate alert tones now? I have not been able to figure out the pattern behind them. Example: 2 and 8 run an ALS call with no MDO dispatched, and there are 3 sets of station alerts. 1 for 8 and 2 for 2.

Thanks again,
-Matt
As for 2 and 8 having two sets of tones, I believe they have ambulance tones (I think EC volunteers complained about being woken up for medical calls at night), so the solution was to implement EMS tones. I believe that 6 will be implementing one shortly, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.