Howard County "Elkridge" patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Heard Howard units ask to have the "Elkridge patch" set up for a call yesterday. This used to appear on the Anne Arundel system (TGID 36816) but I don't think I ever noticed anything appear there during the incident.

Does anyone know how this patch works nowadays?

troymail

Silent Key
There's a similar situation (at least there was) with poor coverage for Anne Arundel County in the Wayson's Corner area near the Prince George line. AA Southern district police had/have what I think is/was a full time patch that utilizes the Prince George system/tower in Upper Marlboro. AA Fire has a similar patch that would get activated upon the incident commander request.

casey_bennett

I don't know if this is related to what you're talking about or not but on my PSR-800 in Catonsville the HoCo Northern District dispatch will always say that it's on a patch, I've never really thought a thing of it.

troymail

Silent Key
I don't know if this is related to what you're talking about or not but on my PSR-800 in Catonsville the HoCo Northern District dispatch will always say that it's on a patch, I've never really thought a thing of it.

That's *probably* a typical "within system" patch of multiple talkgroups. This could be for many reasons -- for example, wanting several talkgroups to be merged so a single dispatcher can handle it, conslidation of districts or barracks, or temporary to transmit a broadcast across multiple talkgroups simultaneously, etc.

The patch I'm talking about results in activity for one jurisdiction being patched onto (from) another neighboring system -- generally because of poor coverage/reception in that specific area (Howard County has poor radio coverage/dead spots in Elkridge but the Anne Arundel system has good coverage in that same area, etc.). In this case, I believe what happens is the Howard unit actually transmits on the Anne Arundel system and Howard County patches that activity back onto the Howard system.

Status
Not open for further replies.