HP-1 and Motorola Digital End Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Paul? Is there any way to turn the Digital End Code on for a specific system?

Us folks in the DC Metropolitan area that monitor the Montgomery Co MD TRS have developed a new problem with the radio hanging after a comms. Often, you will hear another TGID talk while this is hung. Eventually, like 1-2 minutes later, the radio resumes scanning on its own if there is no talk on any TG. I have identified 4 or 5 different TGs talking while the scanner is hung on a totally different TG. This is being reported by many HP-1 owners on the local Yahoo group.

I think it is happening because of changes the techs are doing to the Quantars in prep to rebanding later this month, but it is extremely annoying to have to hit the bottom bar twice to get it to resume scanning.
I have turned on Digital End Code on my 396T and 996T and they no longer hang.

Please help!!

JK :(

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Digital End code is always on (cannot be turned off).

You should also be sure that squelch isn't set too low.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Paul.
I am pretty sure it's a system problem related to rebanding preparations. I really think it is a Quantar programming issue, but it does not occur on my other 2 radios (396T, 996T) with end code on (which it was not, previously). pretty strange!

FYI, the squelch is at about 5 bars to work with the conventional systems I monitor, but should not affect digital truncked systems, does it?

JK

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When set too low, if the scanner misses the end code it will hang on the channel with open-squelch noise and "bleed" over to the next comm on that voice channel. It will also take much longer for the scanner to determine the control channel for the system.

When set too high, if the control channel signal is not strong enough to break squelch, the system won't be scanned. If it is strong enough but the voice channel is not always strong enough, you'll get interrupted comms.

Status
Not open for further replies.