HP-1 BNC/SMA Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
BNC to SMA

I have several HT's and use various connectors of this type. The cost has varied, but the quality has been good on most. The biggest problem is that the center pin on some is too short and does not make contact with the socket.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I have some of the adapters like Airwavelistener showed with the very thin SMA connectors. In my opinion I cannot recommend them as it appears to me that all the stress from large coaxial cables seem to be transmitted to the SMA connector alone (which is attached to the circuit board), so this is not a good situation.

However, if you look at the other SMA adapters shown (which are like the ones I use) they have a broad SMA connector so the stress is transmitted to the plastic case of the scanner and not just to the SMA connector. However, I have had only one with the center pin too short and assumed that it was a “one off” but now that I see someone else has found some with the center pin too short I guess it is something to lookout for.

I have some of the adapters like Airwavelistener showed with the very thin SMA connectors. In my opinion I cannot recommend them as it appears to me that all the stress from large coaxial cables seem to be transmitted to the SMA connector alone (which is attached to the circuit board), so this is not a good situation.

However, if you look at the other SMA adapters shown (which are like the ones I use) they have a broad SMA connector so the stress is transmitted to the plastic case of the scanner and not just to the SMA connector. However, I have had only one with the center pin too short and assumed that it was a “one off” but now that I see someone else has found some with the center pin too short I guess it is something to lookout for.

Good point. I never gave a thought about what sort of stress the thin connector would take.
I'm going to pick one up like msingewald linked to.

Status
Not open for further replies.