HP-1 who charges batteries in/out of the radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
As a rule I don't use a radio to charge. I use a Maha PowerEx C808M charger for most of my "AA" applications and my batteries last a very long time. I rotate 24 AA's in groups of 4 and some groups of 2, so that the batteries usage profiles are identical for each group. I keep track of the age and the charger conditions them from time to time. Most radios have a very rudimentary charging system that cooks your batteries.

It is not complicated to organize and some of my oldest batteries that have been through 1000+ cycles.

SDavis90

I've done it in mine...only after the batteries were dead and only while at home where I could keep an eye on it. On that note, I never charge anything unattended. Been to a fire or two where houses burned because they were charging batteries in a product unattended.

I use an external charger on mine now.

KD8HE

Premium Subscriber
Allow charge when dead. Only charge in the car since 95% of my HP1 time is mobile
No issues except batteries dont last long and indicator is not worth much
Otherwise OK
Harry

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
After a near disaster, I never charge the batteries in the radio. Right after I bought the HP, I was really tired and started charging a newly charged set and they were very hot by the time I realized what was happening. The HP was fine, the batteries were trashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.