HP T5720 Thin Client feed problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2KRJ

Feed Provider
Long time listening and following these posts...First Time posting however...If this post is in the wrong area, please redirect....and accept my apologies.

Here goes:

I have a HP T5720 ThinClient running xpe sp3. Currently, I am using Radio Feed successfully and streaming a feed. I would like to have the ability to broadcast multiple feeds from this thinclient, so I went out and purchased 3 usb soundcards (c-media). I am using 1 of these usb soundcards currently with my active feed with no issues. The thinclient recognized the usb soundcard, and it showed up as an option available on the Radio Feed software.

The problem I have is when I create a new folder with the Radio Feed files. I install another usb soundcard, and it gets recognized by the thinclient. I run a new instance of Radio Feed and the program comes up. But, the new soundcard does not come up as an available option. The same problem appears when I use Scannercast...the additional usb soundcard for the additional feed is not getting recognized by the programs.

I believe I have checked the correct areas of the xpe system-there are no conflicts shown in the device manager....however both soundcards are showing as "location 0". Could this be a conflict? -even though there are no confilcts shown in Device Manager? If this is the issue, how does one correct it in an xpe environment?

Here's another strange issue that I cannot figure out....If I stop the one occurrance of Radio Feed, exit out of the program, then restart it.....the same problem appears....the 1 usb sound card is not recognized by the software. So at this point I have to restart the thinclient (because I did not commit the changes), the system will reboot, and everything will be back to normal.

I fear that I made a change somewhere that I was not conscious of ! The thinclient is not showing an active soundcard installed, however I am able to hear default windows sounds....is it possible that I deleted a file -somewhere- that I was not aware of....then committed the changes....unable to go back ?
Could this be causing the problem with my inability to stream multiple feeds?

I looked at the HP website for Thinclients....in the hopes of finding something that I could re-install (or install) to correct this issue...to no avail.

Gentlemen, please help and point me in a direction here as I don't know what to do. At this point, if I have to do a reinstall of xpe on the thinclient then so be it....but I am looking for ANY options before that.

Regards,

Neil
KB2KRJ

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I install another usb soundcard, and it gets recognized by the thinclient. I run a new instance of Radio Feed and the program comes up. But, the new soundcard does not come up as an available option. The same problem appears when I use Scannercast...the additional usb soundcard for the additional feed is not getting recognized by the programs.

Do you see the multiple sound cards in device manager? This is what mine looks like with integrated audio and 2x USB audio.

thinclientusb.bmp

On a somewhat related note...I wasn't happy with the quality of the $0.99 USB audio cards I purchased from EBAY. I just ordered this adapter but it hasn't come in. I'll be able to use this and the integrated for 3 feeds. I just hope i can get it to work on XPe

Newegg.com - ENCORE ENMAB-8CM 7.1 Channel USB Audio Box

KB2KRJ

Feed Provider
Rob_K,

Thanks for your quick reply....I see exactly the same in the device manager....this is why I cannot figure out why the Radio feed or Scannercast is not recognizing both instances..... Further, if I was to stop and shut down the software, it then will not recognize the soundcard(s).

This leads me to believe that I deleted something that I should not have....any recommendations?

Should I just re-install the windows xpe? Is it possible?

Thanks again to anyone who can help here !

Neil
KB2KRJ

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't re-install Windows XPE. It most likely will be a waste of time.

Can you post a screenshot like Rob_K did.
I would disable and enable the driver. If that doesn't work then check for driver updates.

I see exactly the same in the device manager....this is why I cannot figure out why the Radio feed or Scannercast is not recognizing both instances..... Further, if I was to stop and shut down the software, it then will not recognize the soundcard(s).
KB2KRJ

KB2KRJ

Feed Provider
Proscan,

Thank you for your quick reply. Which driver would you disable, then re-enable? I tried to update the usb drivers to no avail. It stated that the most current drivers were being used. The thinclient does not show an active soundcard installed, but it seems to appear in the device manager.....very frustrating !

Sorry to sound like a complete newbie.....how do I send a screenshot? -I apologize for my ignorance-
Is there freeware that I can download to create a .jpg for the screenshot?

Neil
KB2KRJ

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Not sure about thin clients but on a regular machine, press "Ctrl" and "Print Screen" at the same time then paste it in Paint. Edit the extra stuff out around the Device Manager and save the image.

Do you have Paint installed on your machine?

[EDIT] The USB Audio Device disable/enable

Proscan,

Thank you for your quick reply. Which driver would you disable, then re-enable? I tried to update the usb drivers to no avail. It stated that the most current drivers were being used. The thinclient does not show an active soundcard installed, but it seems to appear in the device manager.....very frustrating !

Sorry to sound like a complete newbie.....how do I send a screenshot? -I apologize for my ignorance-
Is there freeware that I can download to create a .jpg for the screenshot?

Neil
KB2KRJ

Last edited:

KB2KRJ

Feed Provider
Proscan and all...

Thank you for the guide for a screenshot....here they are.

Regarding the USB Audio Device Properties, the properties are EXACTLY the same for both usb audio devices.

Neil
KB2KRJ

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 706
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,288
  • screenshot3.jpg
    screenshot3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 813

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Proscan and all...

Thank you for the guide for a screenshot....here they are.

Regarding the USB Audio Device Properties, the properties are EXACTLY the same for both usb audio devices.

Neil
KB2KRJ

Looks good to me. Perhaps someone with more knowledge in this area can chime in.

KB2KRJ

Feed Provider
Gentlemen,

Here are 2 screen shots of Radiofeed and the problem that I have.

The one picture shows my main feed, with the many input options. This instance of the Radiofeed program is running with no issues.

The other picture shows another instance of Radiofeed (duplicated and separate in its own folder) with no options for input. The Primary Sound Capture Device does nothing....no effect at all. Below that are 2 blank spaces that have no effect either.

The remaining screenshot is one showing the Sounds and Audio Device Properties---showing (for some reason) that there is no audio device present.... HELP ! :)

Any help is appreciated. I hope these pictures help describe my issues. By the way, the same issue occurs with ScannerCast....no input options are available. Keep in mind, the programs themselves run just fine at the moment.

Neil
KB2KRJ

Attachments

• screenshot4.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,067
  • screenshot5.jpg
    screenshot5.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 690
  • screenshot6.jpg
    screenshot6.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 919

Rob_K

Feed Provider
One thought...

When you said you "created a new radio feed folder"....Did you just copy files or re-run setup? I ran setup 3 times on mine but pointed the 3 installs to different locations.

The other thing that is strange is in your last screen shot, most options are grayed out. When I look at mine, nothing is grayed out.

My sound adapter arrived today. Be a few days before I get it up and running and see if it works with XPe

-Rob

KB2KRJ

Feed Provider
Rob_K

Here's what I have done so far....I have disabled, and re-enabled the USB SoundCard, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the soundcard....with no change in status.

I read on another forum that DirectX must be installed in a Windows xpe environment for Magic Jack to work. Since I purchased this thinclient from a seller out of the box---without Magic Jack pre-installed, I am thinking that DirectX may NOT be installed on this system. The forum that I was reading indicated to me that it (DirectX) is necessary for the integrated soundcard to work property. So, at this point...I figured what do I have to lose.....?

Also, I read that Remote Desktop (by default) brings sound properties to the remote computer when used. This forum posting indicated that you have to set the properties to leave the sounds at the computer, (when using RDP)

When I get out of work tonight, I will look at these settings on my thinclient, install DirectX, and look at Remote Desktop Manager.

I do appreciate all the help recieved on this matter so far.

I will post my results later tonight (here's hoping that all is resolved !)

Neil
KB2KRJ

KB2KRJ

Feed Provider
Rob_K and all....

Success ! I was able to install DirectX, and changed the settings in Remote Desktop Manager to leave the sounds at the computer.....committed all to memory and restarted the machine.

When it came back, the initial usb card came up (as usual). Then I installed another USB card, as well as a NEW INSTALL of Radiofeed (not just a copy of the existing folder on the thinclient). Opened up the new radiofeed from the new folder, and there it was....all the necessary options for a second feed !!!

I kept going and installed an additional USB card with another NEW install of Radiofeed, and all works as it should now. No problems what so ever. Once I am able to get my settings right, I'll commit all to memory, and restart the machine.

So far so good... !!! Currently I have 2 feeds running, with intentions of getting another feed started soon.

Thanks to all who assisted and helped me with this problem. I do appreciate it. These forums are a GREAT RESOURCE for everyone !!!

Thanks Again !!!

Neil
KB2KRJ

Status
Not open for further replies.