• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1250 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

michy

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a used HT1250 (VHF) and when it arrived and turned it on, the signal strength meter always is lit up and showing 2 to 4 bars of signal.

I tried programming different frequencies on it, with no change... it still shows varying signal. If I set the channel to CSQ, it doesn't squelch the audio at all. Only if I use TPL or DPL, will it squelch (sort of makes sense). I compared the programming to another HT1250 VHF, and I can't find why it is showing this signal.

Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong with the radio, or if its a programming issue (although I can't find what)?

Thank you

Michelle

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm not too HT1250 savvy, but it sounds like your squelch softpot needs to be adjusted. You would need the tuner software to correct this.

michy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.. I have the tuner software actually... but that wouldn't explain the abnormal constant (and varying) signal strength would it (and knowing there is nothing transmitting on that freq within range)?

Thanks
Michelle

m-gerty

A computer or wireless router will cause the same symptoms.Have you tried taking it away from the house?

michy

Premium Subscriber
m-gerty - thanks for responding.

I haven't. I have a few of the HT1250 VHF radios, and only one does this. I hope its just a tuning issue, but hope someone has experienced the issue.

I will bring them both out away from the house and test.

Thanks!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
HMM!

This is definitely a strange issue. Neither of my 2 HT1250s do this. They both sit near my PC really close too. Interesting!

Manny

michy

Premium Subscriber
Yes, out of the roughly dozen HT1250 and HT1550 radios I have (mostly UHF), this is the only one that has this issue.

If I remove the antenna, the signal strength bars almost disappear, but the led blinks red all the time because perhaps it thinks the channel is in use.

Shop rate around here is $90/hr plus taxes, and given the radios are worth about $150 to $200, I'm apprehensive to bring it in until I have an idea of what causes the it.

michy

Premium Subscriber
Probably a good idea :)

If I use TPL or DPL, it seems fine. It transmits and receives ok.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I purchased a used HT1250 (VHF) and when it arrived and turned it on, the signal strength meter always is lit up and showing 2 to 4 bars of signal.

I tried programming different frequencies on it, with no change... it still shows varying signal. If I set the channel to CSQ, it doesn't squelch the audio at all. Only if I use TPL or DPL, will it squelch (sort of makes sense). I compared the programming to another HT1250 VHF, and I can't find why it is showing this signal.

Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong with the radio, or if its a programming issue (although I can't find what)?

I take it that these problems are on the receive side?

It might be a programming issue. Check these items on each personality: On the Advanced tab, disable Expansion and Compression. Your Emphasis type should be set for both De & Pre. On the Personality Options tab, disable VOX.

On the Radio Configuration menu, in the Monitor tab, make sure you've selected Silent.

You may have all these things done, but it's a good double check and begins to rule out possible causes.

michy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Steve.

Yes.... issue appears to be only with receive.

Thank you for the detailed configuration items to check... I will look those over.

Michelle

michy

Premium Subscriber

It might be a programming issue. Check these items on each personality: On the Advanced tab, disable Expansion and Compression. Your Emphasis type should be set for both De & Pre. On the Personality Options tab, disable VOX.

On the Radio Configuration menu, in the Monitor tab, make sure you've selected Silent.

I confirmed these settings, and it doesn't appear to resolve the issue.

I noticed if I enable "busy channel lockout" it won't let you transmit, which verifies that the radio sees a signal on a specific frequency, even though there is nothing there. Almost like it is over sensitive.

One other weird thing, is that when I click on the button to load the configuration to the radio, it outputs loud un-squelched audio for 5 seconds or so... which none of my other radios do either.

MCCSolutions

Question.

You may have all these things done, but it's a good double check and begins to rule out possible causes.

I have always wondered what exactly Emphasis changes, all mine are set to Expansion and Compression, I enabled them because I noticed a difference in the audio quality. What exactly do they do? Do these setting affect the range?

Thanks,

Mike

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
I have always wondered what exactly Emphasis changes, all mine are set to Expansion and Compression, I enabled them because I noticed a difference in the audio quality. What exactly do they do? Do these setting affect the range?

Thanks,

Mike

Just curious, Mike, did you ever get an answer to your question about Expansion & Compression? I, too, am wondering what it does. CPS doesn't really explain it fully to me.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
From 'another page.'

For 25 kHz channels, use pre-emphasis and de-emphasis on.

For 12.5 kHz channels, you have to experiment with compression and expansion; Motorola intended them to be used to compensate for the narrow bandwidth, but a lot of folks believe the radios sound better with them off.

The most reliable (in terms of falsing) unmute/mute combination is "AND" "OR". This means that the radio will not unmute until it had detected both valid freq and valid tone, and that it will mute if it loses detection of either. According to Motorola, this combination suffers a bit in terms of range, but that has not be our experience.

Mkillmer

Has anyone figured out original problem of this post? I have a radio doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.