• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1250 - MDC Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYC4FUN

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, please pardon the ignorance as I get more acquainted with the software. I have an HT1250 and modified one of the MDC Messages; I assumed that I'd be able to transmit a message, say "Test" from my portable to another portable, having that message show up on the LCD. Selected it via the menu, keyed in, and I heard the transmitting squelches but it wasn't received by the other radio. What exactly needs to be done in order to accomplish the message/text being received?

Thanks!

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
THe other radios RX personality for signaling needs to be set for MDC

I also have a HT1250, and I played around for a while with it trying to get it to work. I'm not sure its possible to send a message from one portable to another. I think it is only possible to send messages from a portable to a console, and console to portable.

If there is a way to do this, I'd love to be able to do this myself!

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
you cant really send text message to radio to radio, what they mean by mdc message is a radio identifier

NYC4FUN

The other radios are definitely set up for MDC, all of ours are; we use them for a VAS, so the dispatcher tones out a group of radios or a specific radio, as needs dictate; therefore everyone has their own, unique MDC. When you "selective call" another radio from yours, you're hitting a specific MDC, for example. I assumed there would be a similar option like that for MDC Messaging, and there isn't. That's why I'm not quite understanding how to do this, unless I'm just missing out on the idea.

Further thoughts?

NYC4FUN

When my dispatcher, for example, tones out my radio I see his MDC ID. I'm assuming that's what you mean by "radio identifier". But the MDC Message portion of the software lets you create a series of actual text; I was under the impression that's text that you could transmit and it would appear on someone else's handheld. Am I mistaken?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
The only radios that allow you to send MDC message between each other are Systems Saber III's. The MDC Messaging feature on the HT1250's is meant for Dispatch Terminal to Radio and Radio to Dispatch Terminal use. There is no way to distinguish between radios to send a message to.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
If you ever happen to come across an XTS series, it will transmit texts as long as you have the right options flashed or maybe some other radios that use Astro25 products CPS/firmware major revision R09
XTS5000 TMS HOWTO

"TMS, or Text Messaging Service, is a feature that was released by Motorola in Astro25 products CPS/firmware major revision R09.

In order to use TMS, the radio firmware must be R09.00.00 or higher, and you must use CPS R09.00.00 or higher. The radio must have the W947/Q947 APCO Packet Data and option enabled in the FlashCode. It is conjectured that the H14/G114 Digital ID Display and G182 Enhanced Radio Call Protocol options must also be present, however this has not yet been confirmed.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
You can still call alert from portable to portable and mobile to mobile (with the HT/CDM-1250). the programming in the CPS program is a little intense, but when you get it right, it works great. Sorry from bringing up old stuff.

CommJunkie

The MDC message is to assign an MDC code with a word or name. For example, if MDC 1234 keys up on my radio, I could assign that MDC to read "TEST" so that whenever that MDC comes across, the radio will interpret it as "TEST" every time. When you SEND an MDC message, you are making sure the radio on the other end knows it is you, and will display whatever it is that YOUR MDC ID is assigned to. This is done across the radio channel, but no one else will decode the MDC except for the radio you have directed it to. So if your MDC is 4554 and your friend has 4554 assigned to display "JIM", when you send an MDC message it will read "JIM" on their radio.

Hope this makes sense.

DPapay

Cifd64,CommJunkie, keep an eye on the original posters date, this thread is more than a month old. The poster probably figured this one out by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.