Hum on Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief220

Can anyone identify the cause of the humming/background noise that is broadcasting on my feed? I installed an audio ground loop isolator and this did not fix the problem. I also tried running both the scanner and computer on just battery power, but this did not fix the problem either. However, I tried running the feed on a different computer and the hum went away. Any ideas?

jim202

Can anyone identify the cause of the humming/background noise that is broadcasting on my feed? I installed an audio ground loop isolator and this did not fix the problem. I also tried running both the scanner and computer on just battery power, but this did not fix the problem either. However, I tried running the feed on a different computer and the hum went away. Any ideas?

There could be a number of causes for the hum. In going to another computer, you indicate that it went away. So now you have split the problem in half. Everything from the scanner to the computer is good. I bet even a 5th grader can point the finger in the right direction on this one.

There is a chance you have a poor ground connection on your sound card. Another is that you have the gain too high on the sound card input. It is clipping the audio more than likely as well as causing the hum.

It will take some experimenting and playing with levels to point the finger any closer. It could even be something simple like there is a DC bias on the audio coming from the scanner. But that should have been blocked by the isolation transformer. But the transformer could also cause the scanner to do something strange if there was a DC voltage on the point your obtaining the scanner audio from.

Status
Not open for further replies.